What we'll cover:
• Why use jQuery?
• Downloading & including jQuery
• The jQuery function and its shorthand, $
• Selecting/Modifying HTML elements
• Hiding , showing, and animating elements
• Plugins - what they are and how they help
• jQuery UI widgets
Prerequisites: Please take this very brief quiz (http://elitepeers.com/gdi/jquery-intro/quiz.html). At the end of the quiz, you will get a completion code that will be requested during class registration.
You need to be familiar with the barest scripting basics (functions, variables, data types). We will cover how these are used in jQuery, but we will not include a full introduction to programming. You should also have a solid working knowledge of HTML and CSS, especially CSS selectors.
- Your laptop. A tablet is not a substitute.
- A code editor. We recommend Sublime Text (PC/Mac) or Notepad++ (PC).
- A modern browser. We recommend Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with the Firebug plugin.
About the teacher:
Starting out as a Graphic Designer, Kristi Centinaro was driven to "create things people could interact with", and taught herself how to code after-hours starting in 2008 using online courses, books, and "lots and lots of Google". She now works as a Front-End Engineer, and is a volunteer coordinator with us as she's passionate about helping others learn how to code and 'career switch' into tech. When she's not building websites or web apps, she freelances as a Concept Artist & Illustrator.
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).