The year is almost to an end and we have a lot to show for it. Over 90 Meetups, nearly 1,000 new members, and astoundingly - more than 2,800 RSVPs to our events.
To close out 2014, we're throwing a year-end celebration and our first Show 'n Tell. We'll have food, drinks, and short but inspiring 5-minute presentations from a few members who will share a technical accomplishment they're proud of. We'll recognize our supportive TA's and sponsors then thank them (and all of you) by having an after party at a nearby location.
The speakers are:
• Jenn Lukas (https://twitter.com/jennlukas) on presenting at over 30 conferences in 6 countries. How she started, why she's doing it, and the tremendous benefits she's received in return.
• Joni Trythall (https://twitter.com/JoniTrythall) funded her book "Pocket Guide to Writing SVG" through Kickstarter. She'll talk about the process as well as how you don't have to be an expert to teach people or publish things (plus she'll be giving away free PDF versions).
• Archna Sahay (https://twitter.com/ArchnaSahay) on the Female Founders Network, why it's needed, and her new role at DreamIt Athena.
• Liz Brown (https://twitter.com/lizbrownsays) will share a story about how she had trouble finding work, took GDI classes, and eventually connected with her now business partner.
• Deborah Wyse (https://twitter.com/DeborahWyse) on how she stepped out of her comfort zone and into her professional identity as a woman in tech.
• Sheila Waples (https://twitter.com/sheilawaples) on using a Rails tutorial to building an Etsy like marketplace to sell plus size clothing.
• Courtney Christian on her journey from numerous internships to becoming a paid remote developer at Apple.
• Yash Prabhu (https://twitter.com/yashvprabhu) will talk about mentoring aspiring developers as well as mobile development.
• Jana Veliskova (https://twitter.com/jveliskova) on her transition and lessons learned from going from an IT support tech role to becoming a programmer.
• Kat Martineau (https://twitter.com/katmart19) on the successes and challenges of designing her own WordPress site for a client after taking the Intro to WordPress class!
A tremendous thank you to VUID (http://www.vuid.co/) for hosting us and to Arcweb (https://arcweb.co) and Brio Solutions (http://www.briosolutions.com) for sponsoring the event (Pssst...VUID is hiring a development intern as well as an iOS developer, Android developer, and creative Director. Arcweb is looking for a biz dev associate, biz operations intern and software architect. Brio is looking for a web developer.) An enormous thank you to Victory Brewing Company (http://www.victorybeer.com/) for providing their delicious brews!