addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › The Cost of Meetups

The Cost of Meetups

A former member
Post #: 1
Dear 'nerdettes',
I hesitate to contribute my two cents because I am not a very active member of Girl Develop It, although I would like to be one. I'm a bit pragmatic, you see, and it's hard for me to willingly participate in many of the meetups because of their cost. While I'd like to attend many of the events that pop up, I justify the cost to myself; I could conceivably learn the same material for free if I was dedicated enough in my Google searches.
So my question is: what do I have to do to create more events with valuable and relevant information to our industry, while incorporating the invaluable networking opportunities of this community? As a freelancer, I never want to undercut or devalue the knowledge that comes from people who have volunteered to teach at these events. However, I also understand the value of a dollar and I am curious if other people here have considered alternatives to what has come to be the standard in this group (usually $25 a pop).
And if this comes as an unwelcome question to the way things have developed here, I am open to suggestions for alternative groups with a different system. Perhaps a "potluck" of information, where developers conglomerate, give a five-minute rundown on their knowledge, then mingle afterward with those who have information they find relevant to their interests?
I don't have an answer myself, so I'm really just curious for your own thoughts and opinions.
Thanks!
Leigh
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 60
Hey Leigh,

There's no need to hesitate to contribute your thoughts. We encourage an open environment and others may have the same question. I'll address your concerns one by one:

"While I'd like to attend many of the events that pop up, I justify the cost to myself; I could conceivably learn the same material for free if I was dedicated enough in my Google searches."
Very true and we share a lot of those resources ourselves. Pretty much everything can be learned online - we tailor to those that prefer hands-on learning in a classroom setting where they can ask questions and interact with the instructors directly. As you mentioned, networking is another benefit.

"what do I have to do to create more events with valuable and relevant information to our industry, while incorporating the invaluable networking opportunities of this community?"
For GDI specifically, we host Project Nights/Study Groups after most sessions that are free to everyone. Members also have the option to coordinate their own Meetup through our group at http://www.meetup.com...­. For Meetups tailored to instruction, there are other groups that specifically offer lightening talks or lectures such as Philly.rb, Philly PUG, Philly Node.js, etc. The best way I know to find them is to browse through this Technically Philly directory http://technical.ly/p...­ and sign up based on interest. Of course, the option to start a group with your own vision/style is available. There can never be too many!

"I also understand the value of a dollar and I am curious if other people here have considered alternatives to what has come to be the standard in this group."
For this statement, it depends on the person's interpretation of "value of a dollar". Our price ranges are from $10 to $14 an hour which is hard to find anywhere else and is comparable to taking a yoga class. In comparison, our full courses are typically 5x less than the cost of local universities such as the UArts. As far as value, taking our courses will yield much more than the cost when you look at the supplemental skillset a member can bring to their job, the assets they build up for their resume, the degree of attractiveness to a potential employer, and the income potential they generate.

It sounds like you're prefer to supplement your self-educational interests with live Meetups. I highly recommend you check out the TP link I shared above.

Let me know if you know if you have any other questions or concerns.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks, Yasmine! I appreciate your response and I'm happy my post wasn't taken in offense - I wrote it with utmost respect as I think this group has a really wonderful purpose!

I will investigate Technically Philly's site. Also, could you tell me a little bit more about the project nights and study groups? Just specifically how I would know what time I could arrive to attend (I wouldn't want to interrupt the presentation beforehand). Is that usually listed in the event?

And you're very right - when you put it in that hourly rate perspective, I realize you are being very fair with your pricing. It's great you provide that opportunity not only for the students attending, but the teachers as well.

Thanks again!
Adina Nocito H.
user 74650442
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
Hi Yasmine. I would like to suggest the following:

Since some of us may have the means to subsidize the cost a bit here and there could there be an option to add a little more to our "tuition" if we feel led? Say in multiples of $5. So, let's say I'm a bit flush one month I could add 1 x $5 or 3 x $5 to my tuition which might help someone else out?

--Adina