addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Girl Develop It Philadelphia Message Board › A free Coursera course on Public Speaking and a maybe GDI Toastmasters club?

A free Coursera course on Public Speaking and a maybe GDI Toastmasters club?

Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 72
Strong communication skills and the ability to powerfully articulate a message are some of the greatest assets a professional can possess. How can these be learned or improved after high school & college? Self-help books can only go so far and most of the time, people don't take action because they either don't know how, are only motivated after a life-changing event, or simply put - are lazy.

However, investing on improving these skills will boost your confidence, help you develop critical thinking skills, improve your relationships, develop your leadership skills, teach you how to influence others, and make you more marketable. And you can have it all by learning how to become a better public speaker.

I just discovered this free Coursera intro class on Public Speaking that starts on March 31, 2014 for those that want to dip your feet into it: https://www.coursera....­

Seeing these are traits that are complimentary to our mission, I'd like to invite someone to start a GDI Toastmasters club. Toastmasters is an international organization that provides educational classes on public speaking. They offer organizations the ability to start a club for their own members. I'd love to see someone from the GDI community step up to take this on. The process is simple and straightforward and can be found here:
http://www.toastmaste...­. Leave a comment or contact me directly if you're interested. My email is yasmine at girldevelopit dot com.
lisa
user 15640101
Lawrence Township, NJ
Post #: 29
I've been a Toastmasters member since 2005. I don't know if I could make it to Center City on a regular basis to mentor a new club....but I would be happy to help the effort. I have gained so much from Toastmasters. I helped mentor a new club in Central NJ in the last few years. Do we have at least 20 GDI philly members that would be committed?
Shay
user 6925749
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
I'd love to be a part of it!
A former member
Post #: 4
I'd commit to participating, and assisting in organizing a club.
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 73
I've been a Toastmasters member since 2005. I don't know if I could make it to Center City on a regular basis to mentor a new club....but I would be happy to help the effort. I have gained so much from Toastmasters. I helped mentor a new club in Central NJ in the last few years. Do we have at least 20 GDI philly members that would be committed?
Hey Lisa - that would be great. Would you mind sharing what you've gotten out of being a member of Toastmasters for those unfamiliar with it?

We're looking for a volunteer to lead the effort and part of that will be to put a call out to get those 20 members (which I think can be done fairly easily). We'll keep you posted on our progress!
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 74
I'd commit to participating, and assisting in organizing a club.
Great! Let's find a lead volunteer and she can coordinate with you on the details.
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 88
Hey everybody,

A quick update on this: We're going to host a Toastmasters Info night on Thurs, May 29th at CityCoho. The goal of the night is to educate members about what the organization is, what it does, and provide insights on what to expect as a member, then provide opportunities to signup. Here's the Meeting listing so far: http://www.meetup.com...­

We could use your help as we're looking for current Toastmasters leaders/members to field questions from attendees. If you are or were part of a Toastmasters group and can help us out, please get in touch!
Radhika K.
user 14237338
West Chester, PA
Post #: 1
Hi Yasmine, I have been part of Toastmasters for 4 years now. At present, I am a member of the Chester County Toastmasters club. Let me know if I can help.
Radhika K.
user 14237338
West Chester, PA
Post #: 2
Hi Yasmine, I have been part of Toastmasters for 4 years now. At present, I am a member of the Chester County Toastmasters club. Let me know if I can help.
Yasmine M.
myasmine
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 89
Hi Radhika,

We would love to have speak to your experience and field questions. Can you participate in our Info Night? http://www.meetup.com...­. Let's coordinate by email - yasmine at girldevelopit dot com.