This Meetup was canceled.
Location visible to members
The command line is a powerful yet often avoided tool for beginning developers.
We're here to show you there's nothing to be scared of! This course will cover basics of directory and file traversal, finding and searching for files and content, and using many of the powerful tools (grep/ack, man, ps, pipes, permissions, etc) that come along with most Unix Shells.
After this workshop, the next time you encounter a terminal prompt, you'll be ready to respond with confidence:
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, or Linux are all okay).
• Command line "lingo".
• Working in directories from the command line including finding the current folder you're in, listing all folders in your directory, making new folders and removing folders.
• Working with files from the command line including printing the contents of a file, making new files and removing files.
• Managing folder and file permissions.Standard output and input of file contents including filtering content.Command execution and processes including starting, stopping, and running background processes.
• Accessing previously used commands in history.Examples of real-world use of the command line and how it can be a powerful daily tool in development.
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, request a scholarship. Due to the number of applications, only the scholarship recipient will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!