Not sure how the Internet works?
Want to build a cool website, but can’t decide what language to use?
Tired of techies throwing around acronyms that make your head spin?
In this class, we will walk through the fundamentals of web development in layman terms. While we won't be writing code, we'll take you through various components of the web and how they work together. If you want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team or friends, this course is for you. Topics include but are not limited to:
• What is the World Wide Web?
• Where are web site files generally stored?
• What is the difference between a client and a server?
• Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are compiled in a web browser?
• What do you need to know before building a web site?
• What language should you use and what are the differences?
• What tools do you need to develop a web site?
• Who does what on a typical web development team?
• How do I hire a web developer?
• How can I become a web developer?
This class is for people with little to no technical experience.
About the instructor:
Dominique Clarke is a GDI alum who loves bringing accessible tech education to as many people as possible. She helps aspiring programmers access careers in software development as Community Engagement Manager for Zip Code Wilmington (http://zipcodewilmington.com/), Delaware’s first software engineering bootcamp. Dominique is also a co-organizer for ELA Conf (http://elaconf.com/) and an urban explorer with a taste for cheesesteaks, green shakes and pho. You can connect with her at http://deeclarke.com and @deeclarkesays (https://twitter.com/deeclarkesays).
Questions? You can comment on this event, email us ([masked]), or find us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/gdiwilm).
Please note: Our events are for adults (18+). All attendees are expected to follow our code of conduct (https://www.girldevelopit.com/code-of-conduct).
There is metered street parking (quarters only) around 1313 Innovation and it's free after 6:00pm.
The recommended parking lot is Colonial Parking at 12th and Orange Streets. The entrance is on Orange Street. This lot is open from 7am - 9pm.