addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Gloucester County Humanists Message Board › David Fitzgerald: Nailed

David Fitzgerald: Nailed

A former member
Post #: 3
I don't know if this would be of interest to the group, but author David Fitzgerald (Nailed, Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All) travels around giving lectures.
As of now, he hasn't made it out to the Philadelphia/ South Jersey area. If we can get enough people who are interested, though, we can invite him out here to speak. Either at one of the colleges or perhaps the Cherry Hill Holiday Inn.

I've read his book and it's thoroughly researched, well written and engaging. I also watched a segment from one of his lectures on youtube. I also have him as a friend on facebook and have been in regular communication with him.

I think it would be a good experience for those with an interest in history and religious psycholgy.

Please let me know what you think.
Janice R.
janicerael
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 251
Will he speak for free? To get in at a college, we'd need a student group to sponsor us. I don't know if Rowan has a secular student group or not. If we collaborated with a Philly atheist group, we'd all have to go to Philly for the meeting; NJ Humanist Network meets in Central NJ (an even farther drive).

Anyone else have any ideas? Facility rental at a hotel would probably be out of our reach.
Suzan
user 23869482
Sewell, NJ
Post #: 1
I know Humanists of Greater Philadelphia have a very active group. They often have writers give talks at their meetings. They meet in Willow Grove. We would probably need a group of that size to warrant Mr. Fitzgerald making a trip to Philadelphia. - Mike DeLozier
A former member
Post #: 4
That's what I was thinking. Right now we're a fledgling group and will have to coordinate with another, larger group to get something together. Something like a "Skepticon" event where we have a number of speakers would be good. I just don't know if we could get the numbers locally to make that happen around here.

I told Mr. Fitgerald that this probably won't come together for another year. Not until our numbers grow or we get better networked with other groups.
Bill R.
jwreitter
Glassboro, NJ
Post #: 12
Will he speak for free? To get in at a college, we'd need a student group to sponsor us. I don't know if Rowan has a secular student group or not. If we collaborated with a Philly atheist group, we'd all have to go to Philly for the meeting; NJ Humanist Network meets in Central NJ (an even farther drive).

Anyone else have any ideas? Facility rental at a hotel would probably be out of our reach.

Rowan has a very active group called PSA, Progressive Student Alliance, and the leader is an atheist named Drew Howard...he is coming to our Green Party meeting today and I will ask him about a student event for this fine author. Vince is also welcome to come and speak to him.

Bill Reitter
LisaR
LisaRidge
Trenton, NJ
Post #: 15
Hi everyone! Public library meeting rooms are usually free for nonprofit organizations. Some require more proof than others that your group is actually a 501c3 and may require a liability insurance certificate. New Jersey Humanist Network (NJHN) *may* be able to help with this, if you're interested. You may want to try a few library meetings for a few months before asking a speaker to travel a long distance to speak to the group. I find it a bit embarrassing to ask a speaker to travel from more than 50 miles away to speak to a group of less than 10 people. It happens.
Bill R.
jwreitter
Glassboro, NJ
Post #: 38
Thanks for the good advice Lisa,

We are looking forward to you and Tim coming down to Glassboro to visit our new group on Saturday, November 12th at 1:00pm...even if we only have 10 people! We need the wisdom of your experience and expertise involving AHA, and growing our local membership...and planning for HumanLight.
A former member
Post #: 5
Lisa,
Thanks for your input. I was thinking the same thing about getting the group larger before inviting a speaker (or speakers) to travel across the country. I'm hoping we can coordinate with other humanist / atheist / agnostic groups and / or student alliances and have at some point an "East Coast Skepticon". Then we'll have the numbers to make it worthwhile.

Right now we're in the fledgling stages and we're working on getting our own group growing. We'll see how that goes and then we can broaden our horizons.
Janice R.
janicerael
Clayton, NJ
Post #: 262
Ditto to me wanting to talk to Lisa about our new little group, and maybe being a satellite of NJHN, such as what DVAU does with our "regional committees."

The Rowan student group could try bringing this author in on their own, and could advertise it on campus. We could be "co-hosts."
A former member
Post #: 6
I've been chatting with Mr, Fitzgerald and asked him what he required for a speaking engagement and he said as far as what he would need, airfare is #1. and "I'm happy to crash on somebody's couch if it saves your group the hotel fare." and he generally asks at least a $100 honorarium, but that's negotiable.

Janice, I see you have him on your friends list as well. Have you talked to him about any of this? Also, what other types of speakers could we get out to an event like this or do we want to just focus on one topic with one speaker?