*** UPDATE: ONLINE SALES NOW CLOSED. PAYMENT ACCEPTED AT MEETING POINT ($25/PERSON, CASH ONLY).
Soho, although boasting the greatest collection of cast-iron architecture in the world, in the 1960's was almost demolished by Robert Moses for a planned highway across Manhattan. Saved by activists like Jane Jacobs, it became a center of the contemporary art movement in NYC for almost 20 years, with figures such as Phillip Glass, Twyla Tharp, Nam June Paik, Meredith Monk and Chuck Close helping to make the neighborhood even hipper. Come and see galleries that still retain some of this avant-garde feel. (Note: We may also venture into nearby areas, such as Nolita.)
The tour will be led by Savona Bailey-McClain, founder and executive director of the West Harlem Art Fund, an organization that promotes art and culture in parks and other open spaces across NYC, as well as galleries. She has been involved in numerous public art installations and was recently selected to join TINA, a new international network for contemporary art curators based in Italy. In addition, she hosts "State of the Arts NYC", a weekly radio program airing Fridays on WBAI, 99.5 FM.
- Prepay here:
- If you tried to use the above link but had trouble with Paypal, an alternate payment link on Brown Paper Tickets will be emailed upon request. This will require an extra $1 charge to help cover the higher fees with this processor.
- After paying online, please check your credit card account to make sure that the transaction went through.
- At approximately 2pm on December 2 (one day before), the price will go up to $25 if the event has not sold out. Purchasing your spot as early as possible is recommended.
- RSVP without payment does NOT reserve your spot or lock in the price.
- Online payment deadline is 10:30am on the day of the tour.
- If space is available, payment can be made on-site ($25, cash only).
- Sorry, refunds and exchanges are not available (unless the event is cancelled). However, if you are unable to attend, you can send someone in your place. At check-in, simply have him or her mention the name under which you paid.
- If you are late or having trouble finding the group, send "old-fashioned" text only to (917) 680-0656. This is not a smartphone and has no Internet access, so emailing, posting comments on this page, or sending messages through the Meetup site (or app) will NOT work. Also, no voice calls please, as they can be extremely disruptive.
- Please remember to bring photo ID in case it is requested by security at some of the galleries.
- Feel free to bring your camera. Taking pictures is allowed. And if you wish, download the free Snapchat app to your iPhone or Android and share your photos with family and friends.
- The tour will last one and a half to two hours. Afterward, we will go somewhere nearby for food and socializing if there is interest.
- Gratuities are appreciated.
- Art novices are welcome, as are people with extensive art backgrounds.
- This event was created specifically for members of my meetup groups and their guests, plus special invitees.
- Please note that the "+ xx" next to my name on the attendance list to the right is a count of total attendees from outside this group, manually updated every 12-48 hours. It is NOT an arbitrary number. However, also remember that "no-shows" can never be accurately predicted.
See you there!
Milton & Savona