addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Browser game? Ikariam

Browser game? Ikariam

A former member
Post #: 9
Greetings, and salutations!

I was introduced to browser gaming fairly recently, by a member of a board game meetup. I'll leave that person to identify themselves...

So, you may be wondering...
What is a Browsergame?

{From Ikarium}
Ikariam is an online game that you can play with an Internet browser. Each island nation that you meet is controlled by another player. There are no computer enemies. The game itself is continuous, meaning that even when you close your browser window, life in Ikariam continues. Your researchers continue fiddling around with new discoveries and your workers harvest resources.
The sound of the sea, a white sandy beach and sun! On a small island somewhere in the Mediterranean, an ancient civilisation arises. Under your leadership an era of wealth and discovery begins. Welcome to Ikariam.
You may have heard myself or Peggy talking about "taking over the world". Now it has a name.
Welcome to Ikariam!
This game can be a bit addictive, as events happen in real time, in your browser: there's nothing to download. Ikariam is a game that allows you to make alliances, build cities, and expand your territory. With enough time and resources, your city will become the heart of an empire. Ikariam has some whisperings of games like Civilization, without the addition of years or decades: you follow your own tech tree in the same time scheme as the rest of the world.

At the beginning of Ikariam you only own a small, fertile piece of land on a green coast.

Can you turn it into a flourishing town and capital of a mighty island empire? These pages will give you a general idea of how to get there.

After you have sorted out the resource supplies, you can start and expand your town.
  • An academy allows you to make many fantastic discoveries.
  • With barracks you can begin to instruct troops.
  • Building a trading port and trade ships will allow you to trade resources with other players.

Four loyal advisors will stand by you, so that you are always up to date and keep your head above the water.

When they light up, this means that a new message for you has arrived. Then you can get the newest information from your advisors.

Register for free! Clicking the thumbnail above will bring you to the home page. Then you are ready to go.

There are several "Worlds" in which to play. An alliance has been set up in the Beta world (use the radio drop down box), though it is not mine to offer. Chances are excellent though, if you post about your interest here, you will be accepted and can take advantage of the combined experience of the other five or six members. Each Island has a set of coordinates, such as my three colonies; Metrop [26:39], BuffGameBuff [24:36], PorteM [37:32]. If you post yours, I will be sure to send you some "starter" supplies (resources) independent of any from an alliance (should that decide to come forward).
This alliance was started with fellow casual board game players from a local game group.

This alliance is for casual fun in Ikariam. The basic ideas of fair play apply.

Notes : (notes can and will, change as the alliance progresses)

- No raiding of beginning players.

- When raiding, raid inactive players not in an alliance.

- For inactive alliance players, contact the alliance to let them know about the inactive player first.

- If there is an unprovoked attack on an alliance member we will investigate and take appropriate action.

- If a member or non-member has an issue with a member of this alliance, please contact me (Player name : Corvus) first.

Side note : it's all Stephanie's fault for addicting us to Ikariam smile

Enter at your own risk! wink

Charles
A former member
Post #: 61
I'll come out of the shadows and identify myself as the Ikariam culprit :)

The nice part about the game is that it doesn't require alot of time. So if you are easily addicted to online games this should not consume your life. At the start buildings go pretty quick but then all you have to do is check in like once or twice a day (or even once every couple days) to set things going and let your townsfolk do their jobs. It's fun to build and it's a nice break and fits the itch for a lite civilization type game.

Those of us Ikariam type players are on the Beta server / world, so like Charlie said, just use the down arrow at the login screen to choose the Betta world. The alliance is called Autumn Sky (tag = AtSky) We invite any other casual board gaming types to join us. You can join an alliance when you research a little and build an Embassy.

There is also a nice help website here (go to their Beginner's Guide) :

http://ikariam.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Otherwise you can ask me or Charlie or Peggy questions. Also, when you start let me know what your island location is (it's in the red bar at the top of your town window area. And click on your Town Hall to Rename your town. I can send some helpful starting resources too when you start to make things more fun and easier to build.

My Capital is here :

Urnoitia[38:42] Raven Shadow

Feel free to try it out. It's free. If you like it, great... drop in and say hi. Peggy and Charlie have been building up quick.... keeping their little townsfolk working :)

-Tim
A former member
Post #: 12

There is also a nice help website here (go to their Beginner's Guide) :

http://ikariam.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Otherwise you can ask me or Charlie or Peggy questions. Also, when you start let me know what your island location is (it's in the red bar at the top of your town window area. And click on your Town Hall to Rename your town. I can send some helpful starting resources too when you start to make things more fun and easier to build.

-Tim

I will second this. I have never done anything even remotely like this before so I was a bit nervous to begin. I started by reading the beginner's guide and it sounded simple enough. It lays out the first 6 steps or so and by the time I had finished those steps, I had a pretty good idea of how to continue from there. Tim sent me two shipments of goods to get me started and by the time I had exhausted those, I was self sufficent to make or buy (or steal lol) anything else that I needed. Of course, I've written Tim at least 10 times with questions about strategy etc. and he has been **so** patient with me! smile

Of course, anyone that starts now will get help from the rest of us.
--Peggy
A former member
Post #: 10
Feel free to try it out. It's free. If you like it, great... drop in and say hi. Peggy and Charlie have been building up quick.... keeping their little townsfolk working smile

-Tim
One word comes to mind - slave driver (yeah, so, it's two words!)

There is an update coming to the game pretty soon which you can read about on their boards.
And yeah, I kinda put Tim on the spot but now he's outta the shadows (Is that what they call it now-a-days? devilish )
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 940
I don't remember who was asking about this on Tuesday, but I'm putting this comment in so it moves to the top of the board so its easier to find!
A former member
Post #: 72
Tom P found us in Ikariam. Welcome to the fun. We'll send some gift baskets :)

-Tim
blog
A former member
Post #: 26
BTW Bobbie, that was Darren. wink

I've also renamed the thread to make it easier to find.

ADVISORS

Even though the original post in this thread discusses this (quoted from the game itself) it is not always obvious how the Advisors advise you. I know from personal experience how easily one can forget and get distracted in the earliest stages of the game.

When your advisors look like the ones in the picture above, it means they have a message for you.
Most often, the Mayor will have a bit of news (building upgraded, goods arriving, etc), but early on in the game, the Research advisor can be quite busy as well. When their background lights up as above, there is some news for you if you click them. The diplomat will tell you when there is a message waiting for you or if you are in an alliance, some news from the leaders.

The one Advisor you don't want to see lit up in RED is the Military Advisor (General).
Red indicates you have lost a battle or an incoming attack is on the way.

Here are some additional sources of information and tips:
Game tour
Ikariam Tip
A former member
Post #: 73
And for anyone breezing through the posts that may have missed it, below is a link to a very good Begginners Guide to help you in the starting stages of the game. The site also is a great source of info.

Beginners Guide

-Tim