addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Buffalo Boardgames Meetup Group Message Board › Scheduling games?

Scheduling games?

A former member
Post #: 28
Just a bit of background before I ask my questions:

A fair number of members in this group are also members of a group which we affectionately call "Wednesday Group" (WG for short). Each week, one or two people will list a game that they will run and people sign up for it. This way people often know ahead of time what game(s) they will play. There is a set time each week when people can start posting their game preference and slots are filled first-come, first-served. This works nice usually but people have been shut out of games because they happen to miss the start time for the sign-up.

There has been a time or two in this group where I feel people might be getting a bit frustrated because they want to start a game and there is difficulty reaching a concensus on what to play. There have also been times I've had a real hankering to play a certain game and it either isn't available because someone didn't bring it or I couldn't find someone to play.

Because we meet twice a week, having a schedule similar to WG might be difficult to maintain, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how we can communicate about what we'd like to play ahead of the actual meeting. Maybe a schedule similar to theirs for one or two meetings a month leaving the rest of the meetings the way it's been? Some other kind of schedule-lite?

I'd like to hear from everyone. Do you like the way it runs now or do you have suggestions to make things smoother? If you'd like to anwwer this or offer other suggestions here on the public message board, feel free. If you'd prefer to communicate privately, you can email any of the organizers. Thank you. Peggy
A former member
Post #: 925
Even though I haven't been able to make it out that often, when I do come I bring an assortment because I don't know what people like or what they would prefer to play. I don't know how involved people are here with gaming. If anyone has suggestions or would like to try anything specific that I own let me know. I know Sue has asked me to bring Traders of Carthage along time ago but we've never been able to meet up. Sue did you have a chance to play it yet?

I own a ton of games that I think people would enjoy, but I also understand that if your only a casual gamer that some games can seem intimidating and really involved at first. Most games aren't that difficult if you give them a chance and play through a couple of rounds. Use your 1st time playing a game as a learning experience and don't be too concerned with how well you do. I'm a little weird. I personally like games I do lousy at the 1st few times I play them. It makes me want to play them again and learn from my mistakes after the 1st play. But enough about me lol.

How many people here are familiar with boardgamegeek.com? They list thousands of games you probably never knew existed. Many of these games are for what you call hardcore seasoned gamers, but they also list games as simple as tic tac toe and yahtzee. On this site I have listed all the games I own. Click on the link my games and if you see anything there you would like to try let me know. I'll do my best to make it out if I know someone is interested in giving a particular game a try.

Scheduling games is great if you find a few people that share similar interests. However sometimes its difficult to get everyone on the same schedule and at times its best to just "wing it" and play what's on hand.
A former member
Post #: 28
How about picking a Saturday and/or a Tuesday and trying it for a sign up for (Insert Game Name Here) night?

A poll could be set up to pick candidate games and the poll winners would be the games to sign up for on any given night.

CFC
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 945
Wednesday nights started scheduleing simply because we had 10 members who were all bringing 10 games on Wednesday nights. I should say 10 DIfferent games on a Wednesday night and then we would spend 45 minutes trying to decide what to play and who would get to play it first and then second and who would benevolent and it went on and on and on. THat's why we strted the sign on. Also, there are those who are good teachers. ANND then there's me. I stink. I know it. I get nervous and I make mistakes and I hate it. So I very rarely , if ever volunteer to teach anything. We were just trying to save time.
Since the Tuesday/Saturday group spends time chatting and eating already, there are those who would like to start playing right away, maybe they would be the teacher types, the ones who might be willing to take a lead in that arena ;-) Mike, are you reading this biggrin
A former member
Post #: 407
To get the ball rolling I'm going to try to run a Catan: Traders and Barbarians scenario this Tuesday. The first 3 players who show up, are interested and already know Catan are in! smile
A former member
Post #: 60
Not to be a curmudgeon... (OK yes to be one devilish) But I probably won't go to game nights that are playing just one game. That is just me. I don't play the more Euro-type games and enjoy playing the simpler (like me) games. I have a feeling that the type of games that would be played would be longer running and that just takes up too much brain juice from someone who doesn't have much to begin with. This is not to say its a bad idea, its just maybe a perspective from someone who is not a "gamer" and some one who doesn't show up very much anyway so ... Who cares about what I say? biggrin
A former member
Post #: 29
I never meant to imply that there would ever be a restriction to one certain game or type of game by willing players, but maybe someone might want to post a game they want to play to see if someone else might also have an interest in playing that game. They might also do this to ensure that someone who owns the game would bring it with them so players and game are at the same place and same time, always a good thing!! lol

For me, I'd like to play cards more, maybe some canasta or euchre. I know those might be harder to do as a pick-up type game but might need to be "scheduled" or planned, first-come, first-served and if enough willing participants showed up, then one table might play that while the rest of the people played a game of mutual consent. I can't imagine I would ever try to set up a single game for all players and/or for all night, that just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
A former member
Post #: 61
I don't see a problem with that except that someone may show up not wanting to play the scheduled game and be left out in the cold if everyone is playing that game. For example, as things are now I come by and everyone is playing settlers. I would stay knowing that you aren't going to play settlers the whole night. Eventually we will play cheeky monkey ;) Now I am thinking OK tonight is going to be a Settlers night and if everyone signs up for that, those who show up will be playing that for the majority of the evening. I am out in the cold looking into Panera's window wondering why I can't be smart enough to play settlers. Eventually I get a cold, then pneumonia, then I die :( OK I may be exaggerating but I hope the point is not lost even though I am not sure what it was myself! :)
bobbie8153
bobbie8153
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 947
Alberto, I can guarantee you that you will NEVER find me playing Settlers. If I'm there, there will be other games played. Even if I'm playing Solitaire waiting for you to show up and press your nose to the glass and see that you are not alone!!!! wink
A former member
Post #: 85
I think we could start using the "comment" section of the RSVP a little more aggressively. After clicking "yes", we could write a little blurb about what we're bringing/what we'd like others to bring. This might develop interest and add a bit of structure without having to dedicate a new message board topic to each session.