addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board New Members › Getting to know everyone....

Getting to know everyone....

A former member
Post #: 1
- What do you hope to get out of this group?
- What are your ideas?
- How often would you like to meet?
- What area do you live and what are your plans for your yard?
- Are you already an urban homesteader, or just interested in becoming one?
- Are you hoping to just supplement some of your income or food budget, or do you really want to go for the whole nine yards of self-sufficiency?

I'll kick things off...

- I hope to make new friends with similar interests and get hands-on experience with some of the things I've been learning about only in books. I'd also like to have some more knowledgeable folks around to help me avoid the mistakes others make as I get my first chickens and bees this year.

- You can see my ideas on the home page.

- I'd like to meet once a week (though not everyone will always be at every meetup) in the spring, summer and fall so we can all help each other out. Or sometimes we can just get together for a bite to eat or something to drink. In the winter we can get together monthly.

- I live in Englewood near Hampden and Broadway. We have a small 1/8th acre plot with a 700 sq foot bungalow on it. We do have a rather large garage though (with solar panels!) which takes up a big chunk of my yard. Also, I have two dogs that need some grass to play and poo on. But my front yard is hopefully going to go 100% edible landscaping and xeriscaping this year!

- I'm not an urban homesteader yet and wouldn't apply that label to myself as I feel I wouldn't deserve it. However, I am learning what I can while I live in the city in preparation for an eventual move out to the country.

- I have no plans on being 100% self-sufficient, or even 50% self-sufficient. But I like to eat my own organic food all year long and I think big grassy lawns are mostly a waste of space, water and opportunity. I'm just getting started. Who knows how far this will go...
Brett G.
ssbt
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
Hello,

I'm hoping mostly to meet other who simply help each-other learn grow and make a comfortable life style change towards reduce reuse and recycled thoughts.

I my idea is grouping neighborhoods together with centralized "alternative" heating, cooling, electric, gardening, and basic resource sharing projects. (I'm not sure how to do any of this... but its an idea)

I don't have a ton of time to meet... but am interested in tons of things.

I live in lakewood near the Lakewood Country club... not a club priced house... a .97 acre plot in the more colorful part of the area... 1922 falling apart house. I need to control a giant weed problem and create a balance of garden/sanctuary in my back yard... (I also have 3 kids... 2 beagles and we keep chickens (for eggs))

I'm a casual homesteader in interest but simply don't know much how or where to start

supplement would be great but I'm more interested in the share and share alike thing.

BRETT

A former member
I have been interested in homesteading stuff as long as I can remember. I recently bought a 1/2 acre near Federal and Hampden.It has a VERy tiny and very efficient 480 square foot house. Built in th 1940's and never upgraded! eek. I am looking to talk with folks and bounce ideas off of like minded folks. I am looking to achieve a pretty high level of self sufficiency, but am very limited in funds and am having to be VERY patient.grin. I have 5 dogs, and 2 horses(otherwise known as the fertilizer factories!). Hoping for chickens soon and possibly bees.

I grew up in MO with ducks and geese, bees, rabbits and a huge garden, canning and lots of other stuff but moved here when I was 12 and have probably forgooten more than I remember. I also used to aise and show utility and fancy pigeons.

Id like to meet and learn things every few weeks but I have a vision impairment that prevents me from friving so am limited to places I can get to on public transportation or rideshare.

I am especially interested in alternative energy, permaculture gardening, chickens and maintaining a "circle of life" attitude. I am not interested in converting the masses, just in changing the world by starting with myself,and finding like minds along the way.

If anyone who doesnt have a yard and is interested in doing some gardening and willing to share, I might be willing to provide some garden space and water . no chemicals and permaculture organic preferably, Contact me to discuss it.
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 6
My friend from Holistic Moms Network told me about this group, and I joined because it seemed like there are going to be a lot of really cool things to learn here. I also hoped to meet and make friends with like minded individuals, which is why I join every Meetup group I join.
I don't know that I have any ideas for the group just yet. I mean, I have a lot of ideas in general, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking for. I'm interested in food production and preservation, and making foods like cheese and beer and what not, these ideas have already been pitched, of course. I'm also interested in non food related homesteading crafts, such as yarn making, knitting, sewing, soap making, candle making, and crafts of those sorts. The whole grey water system thing, and maybe renewable energy at home, those topics would be interesting.
I'm pretty busy, so I don't think I could make a meetup every week. I'm a single mom, a full time National Guardsman, a doula and I'm studying to become a home birth midwife, so once a month seems more realistic to me.
I live in Littleton, and I plan on growing as much food in my yard as I can, while still leaving some area for my son to play. We just built our 40x8 foot raised garden bed yesterday, and have almost finished carting all of our soil to it. We'll finish today. Also, we're planting a pear tree and a plum tree back there today. Eventually we want to get raspberry, blackberry and blueberry bushes, some grape vines, a cherry tree, and if I can find a place for it, I want a peach tree. I want to start preserving my food in every way I can too. I want to learn how to can, how to make jelly, I'm planning on building a solar dehydrator. Next year I'm going to do the bee hive thing, I think.
I feel that I've always been an urban homesteader in my heart, but I just bought my first house last year so I'm just starting to express it now. I've never lived in a house before. The whole yard thing is so exciting and adventuresome for me. Is adventuresome a word?
One day I hope to be able to dedicate myself full time, or at least mostly full time, to my urban homestead, and most likely get most of my food from it. Time is my biggest obsticle right now, followed by money. The two things a single mom never has enough of. Until then, I'm just hoping to supplement my food purchases with the stuff I grow. Hopefully at least 50% can be produced at home? We shall see. My yield this year should be much different than the yield I got from my condo balcony potted gardens.
A former member
I grew up on a farm and have always had a soft spot for "roughing it." As I've grown older and wiser (hopefully I'll grow much older and wiser still) I've come to see the value of a truly sustainable society/lifestyle and am willing to sacrifice a little ease & comfort for the sake of using the planets resources wisely. While my wife and I have made an off grid >35 acre mountain sheep farm our real life goal, we don't see any reason to sit on our hands until then. We own a (very) small bungalow in Englewood (near Hampden & Broadway) and are restoring it to its original splendor. (Yes it had splendor.) We are sort of nearing the end of our restoration projects and are now able to look outward at how we use our little city lot. In some respects we want our yard to reflect the time and philosophies from which our Arts & Crafts era Craftsman bungalow originated. Fortunately, the American Arts & Crafts movement's philosophies of art in function and the value of one's own labor blends well with the concepts of sustainable living. While our someday farm will definitely be nearly 100% self sufficient (I'm not growing and milling my own wheat, rice, or sugar!) our city home will be a place to practice the concepts that will be the lifeblood of our future life.

I haven't really tackled the yard yet (much to my neighbors dismay) but ALL of the work we've done on the house has been done by us (me). I've replaced all the plumbing, installed a new (safer & bigger) service panel, rewired nearly the entire house, torn out walls, replaced walls using wood lath & plaster, removed stripped & replaced the old cast iron radiators, designed and built missing cabinetry that look and function like the originals, and generally put the house back the way it was meant to be. I know this stream of bragging doesn't really belong in this group (if anywhere) but the house had been "updated" to accommodate a modern lifestyle where consumption was the name of the game. The kitchen now has its large pantry back, old cast iron sink designed with the gardener/cook in mind, and a vintage stove with burners spaced out for serious work (i.e. ibg boilers for canning). The double hung windows almost all work now meaning that we don't need air conditioners and fans to keep us from melting in summer because the convection current keeps the house a very livable temperature. (We do plan on installing an evap. cooler for those really hot days.) The remarkably efficient gravity powered heating system is now working like new again now that the radiators have been freed from their insulating layers of latex paint. The original coal furnace still works great though the retrofitted gas burner makes for a cleaner burn and allows me to sleep through the night. From my research & experience I've learned that (very) old is often better than new when used the way it was originally intended. I believe that this notion, blended with current technological advances and scientific understanding, is the key to truly sustainable living. I'm looking forward to applying this to our yard as well.

I've noticed that the main thrust of this group is aimed at food, with perhaps a secondary emphasis on energy production and I intend to become an active participant/contributor in these areas but I would like to see more discussion of energy efficiency in the home. Especially older homes can be extremely energy efficient when maintained as they were intended to be. Remember, air conditioning is a recent invention and people used to know how to keep their homes comfortable without it!

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi
I just joined this site and am very excited at the prospect of learning all that I can. I live in Arvada. I am wanting to get topbar hives to add to the chickens I keep. I am big on canning and smoking and dehydrating and have been putting my own food up for years. I dont have time for a garden and have gone to CSA for produce this year but will be putting up all that we dont use. I am interested in learning more about solar power other ways to cut back on power usage
suesullivan
suesullivan
Fort Collins, CO
Hi all! We moved to Fort Collins 18 months ago from SoCal and from the moment we got here I've felt inexplicably driven to learn as much about food gardening in this climate as possible (the financial and economic crises of the past eight months have clarified the drive to become as self-sufficient as possible rather dramatically).

We live on a quarter acre lot in a too-large house, but we've got a passive solar heat collector on the south side of our house, we're going to get a woodstove (if anyone has any reccs on dealers in the area, I'd love to hear them), and we're considering pulling money out of our retirement accounts for solar panels. We may also rent out the garden basement, though with young kids at home, I'd rather wait on that for a few years, if the economy allows.

We have six chickens, our backyard is about half garden beds with plans for more. Actually, it's quicker to link to our blog, I recently posted a garden update.

I'm hoping to get region and climate specific tips about food growing and permaculture design from others in the area. I'd love to attend meetups, but we're pretty far north of you.

I'd love to be completely self-sufficient, but I'm not sure it's even remotely possible on the size lot we have. We do participate in a co-op garden on a friend's property, but even so, my dream is to get 10 or 15 acres, sculpt it for water retention, plant a food forest and build a small, off-grid home. Our kids are young though, and not ready for another move, not to mention land prices are still out of our range.

Looking forward to reading your posts and congratulations on the coverage in the paper today! I felt so hopeful reading that so many others are finding themselves drawn down this same path -- I think it's our best hope for transitioning as smoothly as possible to a post-peak oil world.

Warmly,
Sue
A former member
Hi All -

I am Holly and I read the article about urban homesteading in the paper and was really really excited a group like this existed. So here are my intros to me and my hopes, aspirations, etc.

- Like most, I hope to meet people with similar interest. I am the only one of my friends that gardens and wants to become more self-sufficient. I can tell you I do not want to be stuck not knowing how to take care of myself and my daughter if something were to happen to King Soopers tomorrow. Additionally, I hope to learn to make my own home products, such as cheese, butter, cleaning supplies and personal hygiene items such as soap. My favorite herb is lavender and I am really trying to grow it for cleaning and cooking.

- I have a lot to learn, but I am sure I have some ideas. My dad has been gardening since I was born and really taught me everything I know. I am the only one of my siblings with a green thumb. I want to learn more about edible landscaping as well and have been learning about edible weeds.

- At least twice a month during growing season and maybe less during the fall and winter months.

- I live in the southwest Denver area. I already have a garden (used to be the dog run...which of course I do not put dogs in) and would like to convert part of my yard into edible landscaping. I would also love to own a goat or two (natural lawn mowers) and chickens.

- Both...I am already doing my own gardening and preserving to a point, but have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I am very very eager.

- I would really like to become mostly self-sufficient. I think it is good for the mind, body, and spirit to be able to live off of your own hard work.
A former member
Hi My name is Aaron

I have lived in Colorado since 99.

I have been gardening all my life, but now that I am an adult I get to plant what I want.lol

I dont have much free time. work and Gardening take it.

As far as preserving and canning. I have helped my parents do it all my life. but my garden isnt producing as much as it should. I will be going to Brighton to buy Bushels of beets and beans this yr sadly. But I did pick my first beans of the yr last night. purple podded pole beans.

I live in longmont

I love growing ornamental pumpkins bumpkins, queensland toda, etc

Plus i showed my vegies at the boulder county fair and won best of for my red cabbage.

thanks aaron dew
Emele
user 10487265
Denver, CO
Hi my name is Emele

I have lived in different parts of CO over the past 13 years, I have lived in Lakewood for 4 years with my husband and two dogs

I have not been gardening my whole life but in my early 20's I worked for the town of Estes park and was introduced to the wonderful world of plants. From there I went to CSU and got a degree in Landscape Horticulture, emphasis in Landscape Design.

I am a Landscape Designer, although trying to branch out and do something new. Although I will always do design work on my own.

Although I am great at the ornamental landscape side of things, I am still learning when it comes to growing veggies.

Bee keeping has recently peaked my interest. I have enough space in my back yard to do this so I am looking for ways to learn.

I am not trying to become 100% sustainable, I just want to do the best I can, to grow my own food, design water savvy landscapes, recycle and re-use what I can, raise some bees and maybe a bunny.