addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Food Producing Animals › Anyone want to share an order of chicks?

Anyone want to share an order of chicks?

Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
Post #: 5
Hello all,

My friend Ingrid and I are ordering baby chicks from the McMurray Hatchery (www.mcmurrayhatchery.com), but the minimum order is 25 chicks. Ingrid wants 13, and I only want 6, so we need to find someone who would like 6 chicks.

If you're interested, please let me know. I think we'll be ordering our chicks soon, and they'll probably be delivered in the beginning of March. If you want chicks but need help with the coop, I know someone who builds them pretty cheaply.

*If you live in Denver, know that there is a fairly involved process you need to go through in order to get a livestock permit to keep chickens. The rules vary from city to city (and they're also different for agricultural/unincorporated Denver), so check your city regulations for details.

Thanks,
Sundari
sundari93@yahoo.com
A former member
Post #: 1
I would like to get a few more buff rocks or barred rocks.. heck any of the rock breeds are great layers. Nice big birds :)

Bryan
Monica
user 9017208
Denver, CO
Post #: 3
I posted a topic about getting chickens and someone referred me to this site, My Pet Chicken

It is awesome because you can purchase as little as 3 chicks! And they have a variety to choose from, so you can get a couple different ones too. I think I'm going to take this route myself, thought of doing the 25 minimum order, but what happens if I get stuck with too many chickens? I suppose I could figure something out...LOL
A former member
The only thing about MyPetChicken is that if you buy 4 chicks for $12, you have to spend $35 in shipping! I looked into that one too. I have been getting free-range eggs from a man named Tony in Parker for a while now. He and his girlfriend are selling chicks as they order them from McMurray Hatchery and might be incubating some eggs this year too. They are expecting 25 Red Star pullets from McMurray on Wednesday, March 11. I'm getting 4 and they are $5 each. Since everyone shares on the overnight shipping, it only turns out to be $1.50 per pullet for shipping. I think they're going to have some Americanas too. Her name is Amanda 303-840-6383 and she's really nice! They also have training tips if you have a dog you'd like to not eat your chickens! :o)
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
I sure wish I could take those chicks, but it said in the paper work when I bought my house that we're not zoned for chickens. Bummer.
On the topic of chickens, for those of you who have some, would you consider selling me a share, of sorts? I sure would love to have some fresh eggs, but since I can't keep my own chickens, I'm not sure where to go get get fresh local eggs.
A former member
Post #: 5
I sure wish I could take those chicks, but it said in the paper work when I bought my house that we're not zoned for chickens. Bummer.
On the topic of chickens, for those of you who have some, would you consider selling me a share, of sorts? I sure would love to have some fresh eggs, but since I can't keep my own chickens, I'm not sure where to go get get fresh local eggs.

Amanda, who I mentioned above, also sells fresh, free-range eggs. We have been getting them for a few months now and it's such a bummer when we run out! They are sooo good! Amanda 303-840-6383 Sometimes they have a wait list for eggs.

Is your neighborhood covenant controlled? We got paperwork when we bought our house too that said "no barnyard animals", well that was the rule in the neighborhood in 1975! Turned out that, since we don't currently have an operating HOA, we can abide by the zoning rules for our neighborhood and that means lot of chickens are OK! :o)
Jessica
JessicaStoneTroy
Denver, CO
Post #: 4
We do have an active HOA. I don't think they'd be down for it. But maybe one day ...
A former member
I bought three chicks from Eric Fulenwider, President of the Colorado Poultry Association. They've been with us two days now, healthy and already feathering out. They are almost a week old. Check the CPA out. There is a breeder's page on there.

Eric has 24 chicks and 20 adults looking for a home right now. (720) 629-2939

I'm looking for a white Silkie. My daughter wants a tiny pet chicken that looks like a stuffed animal. LMK if you come across one. If adult, needs to be friendly.

Terri V.
user 8943627
Denver, CO
Post #: 7
What kind of chicks does he have right now?

Terri
A former member
Post #: 4
A variety. I bought Wyandottes.