addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Propose Meetups - Volunteer to Host › Time for us to Pitch In and Help Our Fellow Members...

Time for us to Pitch In and Help Our Fellow Members...

A former member
If you're like me, you're probably late starting the garden. I only just got my seedlings in the ground last week. I'm sure there's lots of tilling new beds, building raised beds, etc... to be done and I'm willing to offer my very limited experience and very hard-working hands for a day if it means I might learn something new and make some new friends.

So who needs help with a project and who is willing to help with the project?

Let's get some specifics, including time, date, location and project details. I'll get a few dates set up as soon as I get some feedback.
Becky L.
user 8324903
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
I'm planning on building a small composting bin either this weekend or next weekend. I was thinking something like this: http://www.bhg.com/ga...­, though I'd love other suggestions if people have them.
A former member
Post #: 7
I need to sheet mulch a good part of my backyard. I think I'm going to use cardboard which I have. could use a source for a free top layer. anyone have any ideas or know where I can get free manure?
BSC
LibertyBelle101
Denver, CO
Post #: 1,495
We live in Highlands Ranch, and our subdivision does NOT allow veggie gardens! (Imagine that!) So we are doing square foot gardening, and are not very hand in building 1x1' or 2'2 foot "mobile bins" that will allow us to have a garden here. Anyone handy with carpentry?

We would be willing to help someone plant or get their garden started. Right now, we are growing our veggies in home depot buckets. tongue

Thanks!
Bonnie
Monica
user 9017208
Denver, CO
Post #: 6
Oh man Bonnie, you have to do a youtube search for self watering containers, the channel is survivela, and show you how to make a self watering container out of 5 gallon buckets, I think a little could really go a long way if you used this concept!
Monica
user 9017208
Denver, CO
Post #: 7
Actually, here is the link!
http://www.youtube.co...­
Monica
user 9017208
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
I need to sheet mulch a good part of my backyard. I think I'm going to use cardboard which I have. could use a source for a free top layer. anyone have any ideas or know where I can get free manure?

Where aboutss are you? There is a place in Lakewood I got free manure last year, just had to haul it myself and since I borrowed the b/f's truck, it wasn't a problem.. It is off of the frontage road of 285 and Garrison, and they usually have the biggest freaking pile of manure.. Of course, composting it first is a good idea, but if you cant a thin layer over the sheet mulch would probably not hurt.

Have you considered adding a filler? Like straw or mulch? That is what I did, so it will compost and add organic matter to my soil making it that much easier to manage in the near future.. Just a thought...
A former member
Post #: 1
Does anyone want to learn how to knit/purl? I also know how to spin yarn using a drop spindle if anyone is interested. I would like to learn to crochet if anyone knows how. Maybe it could all be one class to learn the basics.

Missy
A former member
Post #: 2

If you would be willing to help me move a load from where my horses are a block away to my house I can help you load yours. I am at Federal/ Dartmouth.

Sandy
A former member
Post #: 3
Does anyone want to learn how to knit/purl? I also know how to spin yarn using a drop spindle if anyone is interested. I would like to learn to crochet if anyone knows how. Maybe it could all be one class to learn the basics.

Missy
I know how to crochet the basics and would like to learn the drop spindle.. I tried knitting once and was terrible at it, so maybe some practice there.. grin..Anyone else?
Sandy