addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Greater Denver Urban Homesteaders General Discussions › Suggestions for late planting?

Suggestions for late planting?

A former member
Post #: 16
So as some may have figured out I'm about to move back to my happy little bungalow at the end of the month. I've already got the infrastructure set up for a garden but it has been completely overgrown with weeds/grass while my sis-in-laws have had charge of the place. )c: Does anyone have any suggestions for planting something in my raised beds (and walkways between) that might do decently well if planted in early July?

I've never planted this late so I don't know what will work. I want a nice dense crop that will choke out or at least hold their own against the weeds such as herbs or a quick cover crop. I won't have time this season to devote a lot of attention to it so watering is the only thing I can guarantee. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tim
A former member
Post #: 3
I would throw in some millet ,its drought resistant ,or if you dont mind watering every week you could use buckwheat.
Derec
shulerd
Denver, CO
Post #: 22
There are a lot of late summer/fall plants that you can get started in July. Check out the Colorado State Extension for information on gardening and planting schedules.
A former member
Post #: 17
Thanks. I like the thought of drought resistant. I have a lot of projects when I move home so that part fo the garden is going to be low priority this year. I also don't know why I didn't think of the CSU Cooperative Extension myself. I've had their website bookmarked for ages.
A former member
Post #: 1
If you want to edibles in the bed try some chard, kale, and beets or cabbage. And carrots! Lettuce and spinach, too! You can direct-seed those in July and August for an autumn crop. If they don't reach full size before the first hard freeze you can mulch the heck out of it and try over-wintering some things. None of them will push out the weeds, though- but it will add some color and texture!