addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Denver Urban Homesteading Group Message Board Meetup Announcements and News › Tomorrow's Group Picnic

Tomorrow's Group Picnic

Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
The big Picnic is tomorrow and I wanted to answer some questions and provide some tips to make the day more enjoyable for everyone.

Parking:
The People's Choice Bank just south of Maggie’s house, on the NE corner of Clay and Evans, is closed. This might be a good place to park, as it is a vacant lot. There is also a King’s Super parking lot right across from Maggie’s house, and I don’t think anyone would notice if there were a few extra cars in there. There is also some parking available on Clay street, but just make sure you’re not parking in the bus stop zone.

Food:
Everyone should just bring whatever they want to eat and drink, or whatever they want to share with everyone else. This is a potluck picnic. Homemade stuff would be great, but if you’re short on time and just want to stop by KFC or something that’s fine too. Some plates and utensils would be good too, but you don’t need to bring many, as I’ll be picking up a package. Unless you want to use real ceramic plates and metal utensils to cut down on waste, in which case you should bring your own. Maggie has a grill, but with so many people it might be best to bring food pre-cooked.

Cleanup:
I’ll be staying after to help Maggie clean up. Anyone is welcome to do so, and I hope we can leave “Maggie’s farm” (isn’t that a Bob Dylan song?) the way it was before we had the picnic. There should be a few trash cans available for use, but if you want to bring your own trash bag that would be great. She only has roadside pickup so if anyone has a dumpster available to them and a truck to use they could take a bag with them.

Entertainment:
You are welcome to bring any demonstration items you want. I will be testing out a solar oven, and will probably bring a cheese press in case anyone wants to see how easy it would be to make one. Monica is doing a fermentation demonstration. Feel free to bring your guitar, banjo, harmonica... Or if that doesn’t work out we’ll just turn on the radio.

Chickens and Ducks:
Maggie has chickens and ducks. They’ll be locked down in their own area, but if you’re concerned about bio security, please stand in an inch of bleach water before coming over and when you get back to your house. One cap full of bleach mixed with enough water to fill up a small kitty-litter box or some similar pan an inch with water will do.

Pets:
Sorry no pets allowed. Maggie has several dogs that are sweet to humans but one of them gets excited around other dogs. She also has ducks, chickens and bees, and thinks things will go smoother if there aren’t dozens of dogs running around.

Other Supplies:
If you happen to have a table and a few chairs laying around that you don’t mind bringing over, please do. We’ll probably be shorter on tables than chairs.