addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Kansas City Drupal User Group Message Board › version control for drupal configuration?

version control for drupal configuration?

A former member
Post #: 2
I'm new to drupal, and one of the things I'm struggling to get used to is having configuration in a database rather than files. With files, I can use svn/git/hg for version control.

I could dump the database to a text file, but then the content, the user accounts, and such would all get mixed in.

What do other people do for version control or change management?
Scott W.
HaloFX
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 3
You will be setting yourself up for a lot of pain by exporting and versioning the database. The Features module is designed to help with this problem. It can export specific groups of config settings out into custom modules, which can then be versioned and used for deployment. It isn't perfect, not everything can be exported, but there usually are work arounds.
A former member
Post #: 3
Features... ok... I'll have to look into that.
Mary H.
mollyavalon
Lawrence, KS
Post #: 8
I agree with Scott. Features falls in the category of the base modules I always install. The documentation on drupal.org is a good starting point but there's tons more documentation elsewhere. Also, when you look at modules on drupal.org, see if they are exportable. The Boxes module springs to mind as an exportable alternative to Blocks.

Is anyone using the Spaces module? I'd like to learn more about it.