Volunteer to help remove invasive plants at Mill Hill Regional Park. The goal of this long-term restoration project is to restore the threatened Garry oak ecosystem found up on Mill Hill. We will be sweeping through an area that was cleared within the last two years, so we will be removing smaller broom seedlings.
Meeting Spot and Parking
We will meet in the parking lot at Mill Hill HERE. There is ample parking in the parking lot.
How to get to the location
Transit/Cycling. To find out the best route from where you are, please go to BC Transit or use Google Maps.
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from.
Flow of Volunteer Activities
• Meet at 9:45am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time). You can pre-fill in WAIVER HERE and bring with you.
• Walk to site. Please be on time as the hill is quite large, it will be difficult to find us if you arrive too late.
• Remove Scotch Broom young shoots and seedlings
• Take a break after about 1.5 hours with treats and refreshments
• Volunteer until 1pm then sign-out at end
What to bring
• If you're under 19, you must bring a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate. DOWNLOAD FORM HERE
• Refillable water bottle
• Dress for the weather. Rain jacket/pants if it rains, extra layers in case it is cold
• Long-sleeved shirt and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Clothing you don't mind getting dirty
• Sturdy, comfortable closed-toe shoes/boots.
We will provide
• Gardening gloves if you don't have them
• Instructions on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• A fun experience, meeting new people in a beautiful park!
Capital Regional District