Date for activity: Saturday, July 29th
Come out and learn about the importance of restoring urban ecosystems like that found along the Brighton Walkway, and help restore the health of this small but important Garry oak habitat.
We will be working rain or shine.
Meeting Spot and Parking
We will meet at the entrance of the Brighton Walkway off of St. David St in Oak Bay. Click HERE (https://www.google.ca/maps/search/St.+David+Streetemail@example.com,-123.3098471,17z?hl=en) for the map of the meeting location. Parking is available along St. David St.
How to get to the site
Transit. To find out the best route from where you are, please go to http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/?p=2.list . Or use the Google Maps (https://www.google.ca/maps/preview) option.
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from.
Cycling. You can also use Google Maps (https://www.google.ca/maps/preview) to find a good cycling route.
Flow of Volunteer Activities
• Meet at 9:45am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time!)
• Walk to site
• Remove English Ivy
• Volunteer until 1pm and sign-out at the end
What to bring
• If you're under 19, you must bring a waiver form signed by a parent or guardian in order to participate. PLEASE DOWNLOAD FORM HERE (http://files.meetup.com/16465902/GTC%20WAIVER%20FORM%20for%20parents%20-%20FINAL.pdf)
• Refillable water bottle
• Dress for the weather. Rain jacket/pants if it rains and extra layers in case it is chilly.
• Long-sleeved shirt and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Clothing you don't mind getting dirty and muddy
• Your own gardening gloves if you prefer them (we provide them otherwise)
• Sturdy, comfortable closed-toe shoes/boots or gum boots
We will provide
• Gardening gloves if you don't have them
• Refreshments at the break
• Instructions on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• A fun experience to meet new people in a beautiful place.
After the work party
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album (http://www.meetup.com/Greater-Victoria-Green-Team/photos/)
• A summary of how this activity went along with before and after photos will be posted in our pages (http://www.meetup.com/Greater-Victoria-Green-Team/about/) to show what a big impact you've made
District of Oak Bay (https://www.oakbay.ca)