As part of National Volunteer Week and the upcoming Earth Week we will be removing invasive plants from Lillian Hoffar Park in North Saanich! We will be working with local students AND the community to reduce the growth of invasives and restore the park!
This is a drop in event so come whenever you are able to!
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER HERE: http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
UNDER 19? Please ensure the PARENT CONSENT FORM is signed (available online at the link above when you register as a volunteer)
You only every have to register as a volunteer ONCE We'll be at the park volunteering rain or shine
Meet at the entrance to Lillian View here: http://bit.ly/2HPqbnr
OR we will be working in the park down the path - you will easily find us!
Transit/Cycling. To find out the best route from where you are, please go to BC Transit (http://bit.ly/2DakrC2) or use Google Maps (http://bit.ly/1hSWCQ7)
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from.
FLOW OF THE ACTIVITY
• Meet at 11am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time)
• If you can't find us, please call me at[masked]
• Remove invasive plants
• Take a break after 2 hours with refreshments!
• Volunteer until 3:00pm, sign-out, then grab your eco-gift from one of our SPONSORS (https://www.meetup.com/Greater-Victoria-Green-Team/sponsors/)
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER AHEAD OF TIME ONLINE
• If you haven't yet, register online: http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
Don't forget to get your parent to sign the parent consent form
WHAT TO BRING:
• Rain jacket in case it rains. Don't let the rain scare you off!
• Refillable water bottle (we have extra cups in case you forget yours!)
• If it's sunny bring a hat and sunscreen
• Your own gardening gloves if you prefer them (we provide them otherwise)
• Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
• Long sleeves and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Sturdy, comfortable closed toe shoes/boots. Gum boots work too especially if it's wet!!
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED TO YOU:
• Gardening gloves if you don't have your own
• Refreshments at the break
• Instruction on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• An opportunity to meet new people and have a fun experience in a beautiful park!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS?
• If you need to confirm your hours for school or another program a volunteer letter emailed
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album: http://bit.ly/2oWAT3G
• A summary of how this activity went along with before and after photos: http://bit.ly/2Db7d7W
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
COLLABORATORS / PARTNERS
We are working with the District of North Saanich : https://www.northsaanich.ca
They are proving to be a progressive, forward thinking municipality who understands how important it is to partner with a local charity to increase community engagement and raise environmental awareness, not to mention increase their capacity to improve their local parks!