We will be removing invasive plants from under the forest understory. We will be working with The Land Conservancy on this project!
Working rain or shine!
Meeting Spot and Parking
We will meet at the entrance to Ayum Regional Park - past shell station on your left near 5529 Sooke Road.
How to get to the location
Transit/Cycling. To find out the best route from where you are, please go to BC Transit (http://www.bctransit.com/regions/vic/?p=2.list) or use Google Maps (https://www.google.ca/maps/preview).
Carpool. If you need a ride log into your Meet-up account, RSVP and leave a message at the bottom of this event page describing where you need a ride from. Also, please offer the driver a bit of gas money to help cover this cost.
Flow of Volunteer Activities
• Meet at 9:45 am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time)
• We will be laying down cardboard and covering with mulch to restore a large section of Ayum Creek! Some invasive plants will also be removed in the process!
• Take a break after 2 hours with yummy treats and refreshments
• Volunteer until 2:00 pm then sign-out at end
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER AHEAD OF TIME ONLINE
• If you haven't yet, register online: http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
Don't forget to get your parent to sign the parent consent form
WHAT TO BRING:
• Refillable water bottle (we have extra cups in case you forget yours!)
• If it's sunny bring a hat and sunscreen
• Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
• Long sleeves and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Sturdy, comfortable closed toe shoes/boots. Gum boots work too especially if it's wet!!
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED TO YOU:
• Gardening gloves if you don't have your own
• Refreshments at the break
• Instruction on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• An opportunity to meet new people and have a fun experience in a beautiful area!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS?
• If you need to confirm your hours for school or another program a volunteer letter emailed to you
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album: http://bit.ly/2oWAT3G
• A summary of how this activity went along with before and after photos: http://bit.ly/2Db7d7W
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
COLLABORATORS / PARTNERS
The Land Conservancy (http://conservancy.bc.ca)