This event will focus on removing Reed Canary grass which can be hand pulled or dug out. We will also tackle some Himalayan Blackberry. Other possible tasks will include: cutting and installing live stakes of Red-osier dogwood and Willows to help reclaim the land with native species. This project is part of the Chase Woods wetland project. Find out more about the project here: http://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/where-we-work/british-columbia/stories/reclaiming-a-lost-wetland.html
This is our very first event with NCC and first event in Cowichan! Limited spots available to sign-up! If you are driving from Victoria, please make sure to fill all of your seats with others who need a ride. Let's carpool and reduce how many cars are driving up! Carpool link here: https://www.groupcarpool.com/t/n7rwkj
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER HERE: http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
UNDER 19? Please ensure the PARENT CONSENT FORM is signed (available online at the link above when you register as a volunteer)
You only every have to register as a volunteer ONCE We'll be at the park volunteering rain or shine
We are meeting at the work location off of Khenipsen Road HERE: http://bit.ly/2WobuQ5
You can park along the road there as well.
Transit/Cycling. To find out the best route from where you are, please go to BC Transit (http://bit.ly/2DakrC2) or use Google Maps (http://bit.ly/1hSWCQ7)
Carpool. Please sign up to carpool here: https://www.groupcarpool.com/t/n7rwkj
Let's reduce the amount of cars driving to the site by carpooling!
FLOW OF THE ACTIVITY
• Meet at 10:00am for sign-in and introductions (please be on time)
• If you can't find us, please call me at[masked]
• Remove invasive plants, plant native plants, move mulch
• Take a break after 2 hours with refreshments and a lunch!
• There will be a tour of the site as well that will happen during the event.
• Volunteer until 3:00pm, sign-out, then grab your eco-gift from one of our SPONSORS (https://www.meetup.com/Greater-Victoria-Green-Team/sponsors/)
REGISTER AS A GREEN TEAM VOLUNTEER AHEAD OF TIME ONLINE
• If you haven't yet, register online: http://bit.ly/2GEDEO9
Don't forget to get your parent to sign the parent consent form
WHAT TO BRING:
• Rain jacket in case it rains. Don't let the rain scare you off!
• Refillable water bottle (we have extra cups in case you forget yours!)
• If it's sunny bring a hat and sunscreen
• Your own gardening gloves if you prefer them (we provide them otherwise)
• Wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty
• Long sleeves and long pants to protect you from thorny plants and ticks
• Sturdy, comfortable closed toe shoes/boots. Gum boots work too especially if it's wet!!
WHAT WILL BE PROVIDED TO YOU:
• Gardening gloves if you don't have your own
• Refreshments at the break plus sandwiches! Bring extra food to nibble on throughout the day.
• Instruction on what to do. You don't need to have experience to participate!
• An opportunity to meet new people and have a fun experience in a beautiful park!
WHAT HAPPENS AFTERWARDS?
• If you need to confirm your hours for school or another program a volunteer letter emailed
• Photos taken will be loaded up in a photo album: http://bit.ly/2oWAT3G
• A summary of how this activity went along with before and after photos: http://bit.ly/2Db7d7W
• A volunteer letter will be emailed to you if you need to confirm your hours for school or another program
We are working with the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC)!
This activity was funded by Nature Conservancy of Canada. Find out more about NCC here: http://natureconservancy.ca