addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Greater Los Angeles Classical Music Meetup Group Message Board › Update to The Downtown Los Angeles Classical Music Meetup Group

Update to The Downtown Los Angeles Classical Music Meetup Group

Andy 2.
user 3442746
Claremont, CA
Hi there,
It seems I am now the new organizer for this group.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this at first, but I love classical music and opera, and would hate to see such an established group fall by the wayside.  That being said, I have been a member of groups like this one before (and even run one similar to this), and have come to realize that these kinds of meetup groups face several inherent challenges:

• In order for any event to happen, members must be willing to spend money to buy a ticket.  This raises all sorts of problems, because different people have different ideas about how much money they want to pay for a seat.  It therefore becomes very difficult for people to all sit together during a performance.
  • A certain amount of advance planning is necessary.  Unfortunately, a large percentage of people who sign up for meetup events prefer to do so at the last minute (I have been guilty of this).  It is therefore very difficult to purchase group tickets.
  • You never know how many people are actually going to show up.  Since there is no real commitment when you click an RSVP button, it's really easy to decide that you would rather stay home once the day of the performance rolls around (I have also been guilty of this).  This sort of problem applies to all meetup groups, but is particularly problematic with smaller meetups when only 4 or 5 people RSVP.

However, despite these challenges, over six hundred of you signed up for this meetup, so the interest is there!  I hope we can all work together to continue to make this meetup a success.  I would like to think there is more to Los Angeles than just Hollywood, and meetups like this one gives me reason to believe it's true.  I've placed a poll on the meetup webpage, and I encourage everyone to go there and vote.  It will be interesting to see what all the answers are.   I am also planning a meetup near the end of the month where we can get together and discuss where we want this group to go. Please email me your suggestions.  If anyone is interested in hosting meetups, please get in touch with me as well.
Best wishes,
Andy
Lionel
Lionel_Music_Man
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 13
Bravo Andy! A standing O for stepping up and taking this on. I could help out scheduling events.