addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Grow and Eat Local Message Board › How's your garden going?

How's your garden going?

Jeremy
user 103212612
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
Just reaching out to see how everyone's gardens are doing. Anyone trying something new or having problems?
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm looking at putting my seedling transplants into the ground this weekend (after this rainy week, eh) or the next. Started from seeds and it's been an adventure. Using shop lights is the way to go (only had 2 sets, sometimes I had to alternate which plants get their time under the lights). Bell peppers seemed slow to start, now look healthy at 3 -4" tall. Surprised myself that I can grow tomato plants from seed. Fennel plants might end up as companion plants if they don't perk up. Cukes started strong but now first leaves yellowing. Just used fish emulsion (1/8 cup in gallon water) to feed everything. Hoping the delicata squash can be harvested before heat of summer. Holding off on kale for fall /cooler weather. I have yet to plant the root crops. Your photo looks like good size garden, are those rows of hills? I will be using mounds or hills for cukes, melons and squash. Might put some landscape fabric squares underneath for preventative against soil fungus and slugs. Well...I could go on...have learned so much this year, being a novice home gardener.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm fighting moles this year--more so than in years past. I've got 6 varieties of tomatoes out, pole beans, bush beans, lima beans, sweet peas, brussel sprouts, couple different peppers, cucumbers, melons, carrots, radishes, turnips....the usual suspects. I've had to re-plant the one row three times. We dropped a couple hundred dollars on the solar-powered, battery-operated mole deterrant thingys. I sure hope they work. I'm trying to be nice about it, but if they don't get out of my garden, things could get uGlY!!!!