addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Cynthia
user 8791113
Moreno Valley, CA
Post #: 5
I have had some great success with one variety of loose leaf lettuce, even through the heat (the packet just said "Salad Bowl")but it's all finishing off and flowering now. This is my first year of gardening and i didn't think to plant new lettuce every couple weeks. Can you tell me of a variety or two that I can plant right now that will make it through the heat? I am doing in ground and container gardening, and i can do pots on the patio and in the shade, part shade or whatever it takes. I have the time to move them around daily, or in and out of doors during extreme heat if necessary. I live in Moreno valley and we get quite hot. I have a friend who gardens here and she has two varieties of lettuce doing great through the heat, one loose leaf, one head, but she tossed the seed packets and has no idea what they are called, she's a first time gardener this year too. I have pictures of her lettuce but no clue what they are and no clue how to post them here, but i could forward them to you in an e-mail. I believe that it is possible, and it's my goal, to have lettuce year round here, and i have some raised beds set up to cover with plastic and make mini-greenhouses for the winter growing, and as i said i am also willing to bring pots in and out in the very cold or hot weather. If you have seeds that are suitable and are there i'd be more than happy to drive to your nursery to buy seeds. Thanks, Cindy
GregS
GregStevenson
Group Organizer
Foothill Ranch, CA
Post #: 17
Cindy,

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. I need to check discussions at least weekly. I'll start doing that from now on.

I had one variety that did well from a mesclun mix in the heat. Very slow to bolt. It is now flowering, but I have no seeds yet. I also can not identify it from the varieties listed in the package. The heat really causes most lettuce varieties to bolt so finding non-bolting varieties is hard. I'm going to research this over the winter. Around March or April I want to have a summer seed party. The idea is that we chip in to buy some neat seeds and then share them since one packet is typically plenty for about 10 people. I should have my seeds by then, if your friend allows hers to go to seed, perhaps you can bring those. Can you also send me pictures of her lettuce. I may be able to identify it by the picture.

--Greg