Join us for a VERY fast-paced advanced fitness hike at Valley Forge Park! This hike is designed with a convenient bail-out near your vehicle after 1 hour (3 miles) for those needing to get back to work or who have simply had enough! Those who wish to continue will complete another 3 miles in the second hour. Be prepared to hike Mt Misery and Mt Joy...wooded trails with elevation gains...a strenuous workout! Please remember to hydrate well before the hike and bring plenty of water!
Dogs welcome! Please note in comments if you are bringing your pooch so those allergic or uncomfortable around dogs can plan accordingly.
• Arrival & Start Times: 11:45 AM for meet & greet, hike overview and prompt departure at 11:55 AM (sharp!)
• Meetup location: Valley Forge Park, Knox Parking lot on Rte 252, GPS coordinates:[masked], [masked]
• Hike Level: Intermediate-Advanced due to distance, two challenging slopes & very brisk pace
• Distance: 6 miles (Bail out option at 3 miles!)
• Pace: Over 3.0 mph
• Elevation Gain: Over 1400 ft
• Total Time: Approximately 2 Hours
“I only went out for a walk and...
concluded to stay out till sundown,
for going out...was really going in.”
— John Muir
We appreciate the diversity that the trails reveal as the weather and seasons change. We do hike yearround in heat or snow. Warm rain is fun! Cold, windy rain, not so much. Rain will cancel only if thunderstorms or if below 50° and/or high winds.
Tips for enjoying hiking in the rain...
• Wear a brimmed hat to keep water out of eyes
• Gaiters are a great investment to keep water out of boots & pant cuffs dry; they also offer an additional layer of warmth on colder rainy days
• Store a lightweight poncho or rain jacket in your backpack
• Keep a low center of gravity; crouch on the inclines to lesson the likelihood of slipping. If you do slip, you won't have as far to fall!
• Maintain a positive attitude. Feeling the urge to whine? Look around you. Train your brain to focus on the positive; it's always there...the red leaf, the interesting shape of a branch, the quartz stone, your amusing hiker buddy!
NOTICE: By attending an event you are agreeing that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AT ALL TIMES. No member of the group EXCEPT YOURSELF can be held responsible for any damages, accidents, or liabilities incurred while hiking with us.