This Meetup was canceled.
** FAST PACED HIKE **
If rugged climbs and breathtakingly beautiful waterfalls are something you think you would enjoy, then it is time to experience the Glen Onoko Falls Trail! This amazing haven, rich with lore and history, is nestled right into the pristine Southern Pocono Mountains. The hike may leave you a little out of breath, but the reward of seeing exquisite vista after vista is well worth your effort. As you wind your way up among the dewy rocks flanked by verdant rhododendron, you will find one gorgeous waterfall after another.
Finally – you reach the zenith – and view the 75 foot Glen Onoko waterfall where ancient lore says that Indian Princess Onoko threw herself from the top because she could not wed the brave she truly loved. Who can resist the lure of such a heart wrenching story?
Please join us as we explore the falls on Tuesday, August 1, 2017! We will meet at 9:30AM* (sharp!) at the Falls trailhead. Our hike will include:
• The rugged !!** Falls Trail up Chameleon Falls, Glen Onoko Falls & Cave Falls
• A trek across Broad Mountain to views of the Lehigh River and Jim Thorpe
• Down the Thousand Steps
• The abandoned Turnhole Tunnel !
• Distance: 6 miles
• Pace:[masked] mph
• Duration: 4 hours
1) These trails are rugged and known to be dangerous to the inexperienced hiker. You must be comfortable and have experience hiking at a fast-pace on uneven, rocky terrain.
2) While this is anticipated to be a fast-paced hike, expect frequent stops to enjoy the trail & allow the group to regather. Thank you for being mindful of group unity.
3) A carpool will be arranged from Downingtown, King of Prussia and/or Plymouth Meeting Mall. Stay tuned!
4) Please join us for a late lunch after the hike at Trattoria 903 (http://www.trattoria903.com/Lunch%20Menu%20Page%201.html)!
1) Water, at least 2 liters
2) Easily accessible snacks
3) Trekking poles
4) Small towel
Jim Thorpe, PA[masked]
** Carpool does not mean a free ride...please be courteous to your driver and compensate fairly.
Small sedan = 36.9¢ per mile + tolls
Medium sedan = 47.8¢ per mile + tolls
Large sedan = 58¢ per mile + tolls
4WD Sport/SUV = 57.3¢ per mile + tolls
Minivan = 51.5¢ per mile + tolls
NOTICE: By attending an event you are agreeing that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AT ALL TIMES. No member of the group EXCEPT YOURSELF can be held responsible for any damages, accidents, or liabilities incurred while hiking with us.