COME JOIN US FOR A MODERATELY PACED INTERMEDIATE WINTER BUSHWHACK HIKE AS I FINISH MY WINTER 35ERS! WE WILL BE EXPLORING EAGLE AND DOUBLETOP MOUNTAINS WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF A REAL BUSHWHACK TO EAGLE, NOT USING THE TRADITIONAL HERD PATH. THIS HIKE INCLUDES BUSHWHACKING AND IS NOT BEING OFFERED AS A BEGINNER HIKE! YOU CAN EXPECT THIS TRIP TO BE ABOUT 10-12 MILES. SNOWSHOES AND TRACTION ARE RECOMMENDED.
WE WILL MEET AT the DEC Trailhead Parking Area at the end of Dry Brook Rd (Rt 49) in Seager (past covered bridge)
DISTANCE: Approximately 10-12 miles
HIKING PACE: up to 2 mph (at least 1 mph uphill)
ESTIMATED HIKE TIME: up to 8 hours
DIFFICULTY: Intermediate with bushwhacking
CURRENT WEATHER FORECAST: Cloudy with a high of 41 degrees
• Snowshoes - (I have 2 pairs available to rent @ $10. a pair)
• Traction device - Microspikes or Hillsounds https://www.meetup.com/HOAGies/pages/21457006/Winter_Traction_Recommendations/
• Headlamp! with spare batteries
• Winter Layering consisting of base layer, mid layer, outer shell, hat, gloves, and an extra dry layer
• Shoes with good grip - preferably with ankle support
• A Medium Pack
• Related maps, a Compass or GPS, Enough Water for entire day in an insulated container to avoid freezing, Snacks, First Aid, Hand-warmers, etc.
• Hiking Poles
New York - New Jersey Trail Conference - Catskills Trails Map Set
AFTER THE HIKE FEEL FREE TO JOIN US FOR MEXICAN FOOD & DRINK AT SANTA FE WOODSTOCK!
Address : 1802 Route 28
Woodstock, NY 12498
"BUSHWHACKS" are hikes that leave maintained trails through pure wilderness. Please make sure you are confident in your ability to hike and navigate through wild forest without trails in case your fearless leader should get hurt and you need to go for help (unlikely - lol). A Map & Compass are REQUIRED. GPS is also recommended, but it is not a substitute for a map, compass and the skills to use them effectively. Safety glasses or goggles might also be a good idea to keep branches from whipping you in the eye.
Catskill Hiking maximum group size limitations.
• A group size limit of 12 people for day hiking off-trail or in wilderness areas is in place. Any group larger than 12 must split up (by no less than 1 mile) into smaller, self-sufficient groups that satisfy the size requirement. These groups shall not congregate into one large group at trail junctions, rest stops, lunch breaks, etc.
• In all other areas of the Catskills a group size limit of 20 is in place. Groups larger than 20 must split up (by no less than 1 mile) into smaller, self-sufficient groups that satisfy the size requirement. These groups shall not congregate into one large group at trail junctions, rest stops, lunch breaks, etc.
NY HIKING & OUTDOOR ADVENTURE GROUP LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Waiver of liability
You agree when you sign up for this group or any of the events that you have read and understand the below.
If you join us for a hike (or any other event), please understand that you are responsible for your own preparedness and well-being and will hold no one else liable in case of injury or mishap. You agree not to hold the Organizer, Assistant Organizers, or any other members of the NY Hiking & Outdoor Adventure Group responsible for any injuries, mishaps, or any other situation that may happen at a planned event or during transport to and from a planned event. You are responsible to research the event, know the area, and bring the proper gear. When applicable, you should review topographic maps and trail features carefully. Understanding the topography of a hike is key to knowing where you are, where you're going, and how to get back.
The NY Hiking & Outdoor Adventure Group does not provide liability insurance for the protection of individuals who may participate in any of the events planned by the Organizer or Assistant Organizers.
This release extends and applies to, and also covers and includes, all unknown, unforeseen, unanticipated and unsuspected injuries, damages, loss and liability.
Your attendance on an event signifies that you have read and accept the terms of this liability waiver. By signing up for this group or event you understand that you are attending all events AT YOUR OWN RISK. Organizers and Assistant Organizers of this group are just that, we organize the events and participate together as friends. We are not licensed guides and there are no leaders on these events. You are your own leader - This is YOUR event.