WHERE TO MEET: We will meet at the Springfarm Trailhead @ Mohonk Preserve - Upper 27 Knolls Rd, High Falls, NY[masked]https://goo.gl/maps/MrKBJZwv3nw
Come join us for some challenging Rock Scrambling and Crevice Exploration at Mohonk Preserve and put your Rock Scrambling skills to the test! Though the mileage is relatively short, this is no average walk in the park! You will get a full body workout while exploring the many crevices, towering rock walls and breakdown at Table Rocks and Bonticou Crag.
1) OUR FIRST STOP WILL BE AT TABLE ROCKS
We will hike about 2 miles to arrive at the more remote and less visited Table Rocks area of the Mohonk Preserve for some Deep Crevice Exploration. This area is pretty rugged with no set route so you can expect lots of challenging terrain as well as some exploration through some known and unknown routes. There are also some small dark crevices to explore for the more adventurous so be sure to bring a headlamp!
2) OUR SECOND STOP WILL BE AT BONTICOU CRAG
From Table Rocks we will hike approximately 2-3 miles to Bonticou. Bonticou Crag is like a giant playground of scrambles and climbs surrounded by beautiful views of the adjacent Catskills. If you've ever been to Bonticou before you probably only touched the surface. We will fully explore the area taking "trails" up and down the cliff face on the left, right and middle as well as scrambling through its breakdown for the entire length of the outcropping.
TOTAL DISTANCE: Approximately 7-8 miles
SCRAMBLING PACE: Slow but physically challenging (not to be confused with easy)
ESTIMATED HIKE/SCRAMBLE TIME: 7+ hours
DIFFICULTY: Intermediate - Rocky Terrain & Crevices with possible loose, slippery or jagged rocks. Must have a good sense of balance and not have an unnatural fear of heights
FEE: Please Note Mohonk Preserve charges a $15. fee for day use. Season Passes http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/join are also available for $55. or $45. for students. If you enjoy Mohonk preserve you can apply your $15. day usage fee towards the purchase of a membership by simply saving and submitting your bracelet (pass) within 2 weeks of purchase at the Visitor Center.
• Raincoat/Windbreaker and proper layering for 55-65 degree weather
• "Scrambling" Gloves - Lightweight with good grip - Gardening gloves from Home Depot work great! http://www.homedepot.com/p/West-Chester-Latex-Gripper-Knit-Glove-HD30501-SHSP36/100398993?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100398989-_-100398993-_-N
• Shoes with good grip - preferably with ankle support
• Headlamp with spare batteries - 200 or more lumens works best
• A Small Pack - nothing too large that will become a hindrance in the scrambles
• Related maps, a Compass or GPS, Water, Snacks, First Aid, Sunscreen, Bugspray, etc.
• Climbing Helmet (Bicycle helmet will do) Not mandatory but rocks could get kicked loose (especially recommended if you are clumsy)
New York - New Jersey Trail Conference - Shawangunk Trails Map Set http://www.nynjtc.org/product/shawangunk-trails
AFTER THE HIKE FEEL FREE TO JOIN US FOR SOME FOOD AND DRINKS AT ONE OF THE GREAT VENUES IN THE NEW PALTZ AREA
**HEAVY RAIN WILL CANCEL THIS EVENT**
NY HIKING & OUTDOOR ADVENTURE GROUP LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Waiver of liability - You agree when you sign up for this group or any of the events that you have read and understand our Complete Liability Waiver found here: https://www.meetup.com/HOAGies/pages/20812664/HOAGies_LEGAL_DISCLAIMER/