addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hacker Lab Message Board › The Lab is seeking Residents!! UPDATED!!!

The Lab is seeking Residents!! UPDATED!!!

Closed to new replies

Gina L.
GinaLujan
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 23
Hello everyone!
This is an official announcement that Hacker.Lab has found a location! The Lab is now seeking Residents. We have leased a space above Pangaea in Curtis Park. Opening date is March 19th.

The Lab is a Coworking and Tech Space. We welcome all but we will be focusing on Tech in Hardware & Software. We hope to house a community tech enthusiasts to innovate and create.

Work space is very affordable and we offer different plans for different budgets and needs.

So far it is myself and Charles plus two Techie Residents. Charles is an Engineer and I am a Designer/Biz Dev. The other are in Tech as well and have startups. We are looking for a couple more people who are interested in participating in opening the space and being founders. We are also seeking Residents for our drop in or full time work spaces.

If you are interested in being a Resident or dropping in please contact us.
We currently have just 4 full time desks. So hurry!

See our sites for more info.
The Lab
HackerLab.org

Cheers and Thanks! biggrin
Gina
510-394-4462
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,989
You may want to consider promoting this to a larger meetup, like The People Who REALLY Build Things! www.meetup.com/invent
Gina L.
GinaLujan
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 25
You may want to consider promoting this to a larger meetup, like The People Who REALLY Build Things! www.meetup.com/invent

Hello, I would love too but this is not a building things type lab. This is a Tech Startup lab. I think we will have some computer tinkering going on from Charles but we won't have the facility to build big cool things :) I will discuss with Charles that aspect of it as I may be wrong because that is his thing.

What do you think? Am I making the wrong assumptions? Thanks so much for your suggestions and feedback!

A former member
Post #: 266
Although I deeply love tech, and pretty much all the future projects I do will be tech based... I do think it be nice to start seeing more creative hardware based incubators/labs. I do not have the electronic skills to really get into it, but id love if I could!

But anyways, about Hacker Lab, so is this a "co-working" space then? Still a bit confused on what it is... Tried to look for a website for "hacker.lab", but couldn't find anything. Do you need founders to help build the space out? Are you just looking for some devs to work there? Perhaps you could give more details on what exactly it is/doing :-)
Gina L.
GinaLujan
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 27
Although I deeply love tech, and pretty much all the future projects I do will be tech based... I do think it be nice to start seeing more creative hardware based incubators/labs. I do not have the electronic skills to really get into it, but id love if I could!

But anyways, about Hacker Lab, so is this a "co-working" space then? Still a bit confused on what it is... Tried to look for a website for "hacker.lab", but couldn't find anything. Do you need founders to help build the space out? Are you just looking for some devs to work there? Perhaps you could give more details on what exactly it is/doing :-)

Hi, there are a ton of Tech Startup spaces in the Bay area but not here. There really is not anything here that focuses on Tech Startups other than University stuff. So yes, lots of stuff in the Valley but not here.

It will be a coworking space type model in the sense that several people are sharing a space but focused on Tech Startups and only. We hope to help Startups bootstrap with low rent and a facility that offers them support from the community, as well as supporting talented tech people in their respected fields.

Sacramento is lacking an entrepreneurial and innovation hub in Tech.
Talent and resources are scattered. We hope to build and solve that problem.

Site will be up soon. I have founded a coworking space in Berkeley that is now run by my tenants.
BlueDoorLab.com

Cheers!
A former member
Post #: 269
When I was saying id like to see more I was meaning more in general, not just in Sacramento :-) I am sure there are tons of hardware based startups but we hardly hear about them... Almost every startup blog out there talks about the latest tech not hardware based startups, and once in a while we will see a hardware one creep up. I could be wrong, but that's just from what I have seen.

Okay, interesting... Well I am currently working alone on my startup would be awesome to be in the room and share ideas with others, but I do live in El Dorado Hills, it's about a 30 minute drive downtown... So i'll see.
Gina L.
GinaLujan
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 28
When I was saying id like to see more I was meaning more in general, not just in Sacramento :-) I am sure there are tons of hardware based startups but we hardly hear about them... Almost every startup blog out there talks about the latest tech not hardware based startups, and once in a while we will see a hardware one creep up. I could be wrong, but that's just from what I have seen.

Okay, interesting... Well I am currently working alone on my startup would be awesome to be in the room and share ideas with others, but I do live in El Dorado Hills, it's about a 30 minute drive downtown... So i'll see.

I hope to have some of that going on in our space. I know Charles works on hardware and that he plans to introduce some of his work to the Lab. So once we get settled hopefully he can chime in with what he is doing.

As far as being far. We will have drop ins on a donation basis so just pop in one day!
Charles B.
user 39919142
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
To the extent that our space can support it, I am definitely bringing hardware hacking and hardware/software integration to the lab. As a start, I will be happy to explain/discuss the technologies that we will be using at the lab (e.g. RFID, security system, etc...)

I hope that we will have people interested in smaller-scale (but nonetheless awesome!) projects like: installing DD-WRT on your router, extending the range of your wireless devices, creating a JTAG cable, etc, etc, etc...
Marsh
MarshWildman
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,994

What do you think? Am I making the wrong assumptions?

Yes!