addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Hacks/Hackers London Message Board › Scaling Hacks/Hackers

Scaling Hacks/Hackers

Joanna G.
joannageary
London, GB
Post #: 15
Hi All,

This is a response to the comment left by Brent­, but I thought it may also be of interest to the wider group.

As the founder of this group, I can perhaps offer some context on the question of scaling.

When this group was founded in 2010, there was just a handful of people that came to Hacks/Hackers. It was a good month when we got 30 people turning up to our events in a basement pub venue in Spitalfields. :)

Now, at 4.5 years old, we're securing venues for 200-300+ people every month. We've registered as a Community Interest Company and have our own board and bank account. We are essentially putting on a half-day conference, with drinks included, every month, for free. In my eyes there has been some pretty considerable scaling up already!

We are also quite picky with who we get to speak - part of what makes HH special. So it often takes much longer than a month to secure speakers.

I think there's scope for expanding though, sure. But at the moment I wonder whether "more of the same" is the way to do it. The success of Hacks/Hackers London had been a wonderful, positive thing to experience. However, I think it also proves that London's journo/tech ecosystem needs to grow and support this demand in different ways.

We've already been working with the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project and Bellingcat to experiment with new ways to educate on and engage journalists in complex cross-border investigative projects. It's a tough nut to crack, but we're trying!

We also hope there will be other events in the year that can bring the tech/journo community together in ways that can have positive and material impact on the future of news. Stay tuned for more information on those.

In the meantime, thank you for your support, don't give up on us and keep suggesting ideas to us. After all, this is a project for and about you - the HHLdn community.

And, if you're lucky enough to get a spot - please turn up. We understand that story deadlines and life in general can get in the way but, if we continue to get the level of empty seats we've had up to this point, we'll be forced to start doing things differently (Which probably means charging for tickets - something we've always promised we'd never do as we want to keep this accessible to all).

Cheers,

Joanna. x

P.S If you want to help us grow, you can alway sign up to the Hack/Hackers London volunteer list (if you agree to help out at an event, you are guaranteed a place!)