What we're about
EarthDiverse is pleased to announce its Hindi Language courses designed for:
• introductory learners,
• those who do not read, write or speak Hindi,
• 2nd+ generation migrants who wish to learn to read, write and speak their Heritage Language.
Our courses are offered at the Introductory, Intermediate and Conversational levels. New Introductory courses (Hindi 101) are offered in Term 1 and Term 3 each year, with on-going courses offered continuously throughout the year.
Our Introductory Hindi 101 language course begins with a focus on learning the Devanāgarī (देवनागरी) script and basic conversation and vocabulary. Subsequent Terms at both the Introductory (100 Level) and Intermediate (200) levels reinforce both reading and writing, and focus on grammar, conversation and vocabulary. Our new Conversational Hindi course (Hindi 300) is designed for those who wish concentrate of spoken Hindi and begin reading short stories, poems and learning ghazals.
If you are already somewhat familiar with the Devanāgarī script you are welcome to join one of our continuing classes. We've also added a separate class for the teaching of Urdu (Urdu 101, which includes learning the Nastaʼlīq Urdu script).
All 2022 Term 1 classes begin the week of Monday 14 February and run consecutively for 8 weeks.
- Hindi 101: Our Introductory Hindi 101 course is offered during 2022 Term 1 on Fridays, 2:00-3:30pm beginning on 18 February 2022.
- Hindi 103: Our Introductory Hindi 103 course is offered during 2022 Term 1 on Fridays, 8:00-9:30pm beginning on 18 February 2022.
- Hindi 201: Our Intermediate Hindi 201 course is offered during 2022 Term 1 on Wednesdays, 4:00-5:30pm beginning on 16 February 2022.
- Conversational Hindi 300: Our Conversational Hindi 300 course is offered during 2022 Term 1 on Fridays, 6:00-7:30pm beginning on 18 February 2022.
A Hindi textbook prepared by the Instructor is included in the course fees.
Classes are taught by Todd Nachowitz, PhD, who has been studying Hindi and Urdu since 1978, and has lived and worked in India and Pakistan during the 1980s and 1990s. Todd has taught Hindi and Urdu at both Syracuse University in upstate New York and at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the United States, as well as for the University of California-Berkeley while he was Field Director of the Berkley Urdu Language Programme (BULPIP) in Lahore, Pakistan.
Cost per person per course per Term (8 classes):
• Waged: $150 (GST inclusive)
• Unwaged (unemployed, students, seniors): $125 (GST inclusive)
At EarthDiverse, we believe that language is culture, and there is no true understanding of other cultures unless we make an effort to learn non-English languages. If we truly wish to engage with others we must begin to learn some of the other spoken languages and written alphabets of our diverse earth. We have the capacity!
Language learning can be fun and engaging, and is a great way to exercise our brains.
Distance-learning options are available for all of our Hindi courses if you live outside the Waikato. If you cannot attend either the in-person classes in Hamilton or the live-streamed classes via Zoom, consider accessing this course via the recorded videos of each weekly session if the time or day of the class does not suit you, and you can study at your own pace.
For additional details, cost and registration information, as well as information on our other language, art, history, world literature, philosophy and religious diversity courses, please visit our website at <https://earthdiverse.org.nz>.