This isn't a hike but come join in on the nighttime Christmas holiday celebration called "Christmas by Candlelight" at Old Sturbridge Village (OSV).
The village will be all decked out for the holiday in a country Victorian Christmas theme. It will be lovely as we will arrive after dark and everything will be lit by candlelight, oil lamp, and hearth fire. Bring back the glory of an old fashioned Christmas with this adventure. There is a liberal amount of walking from building to building so that may "qualify" as our hike. ;-) Let's hope for snow on the ground to add to the beauty and to have actual horse drawn sleigh rides!
The text from the OSV event posting:
Escape the frenzy of a modern Christmas with an enchanted evening of gingerbread, roasted chestnuts, music, dance, and a sleigh ride (weather permitting). Meet Father Christmas and chat with Santa Claus.
• Old Sturbridge Village's town common decorated for the holidays with twinkling lights, glowing candles, fresh evergreen garlands and wreaths, and a 40 foot Village Christmas tree
• An all-new North Pole Village for families and kids to explore and enjoy including Santa Claus and Tinsel, the Village's talking Christmas tree
• Holiday traditions explained and recreated including roasting chestnuts, yule logs, mistletoe, and more
• Demonstrations of period gingerbread baking and cider mulling, as well as tin-making, pottery and 19th-century printing
• Strolling Victorian carolers
• Sleigh rides (weather permitting)
• Gingerbread House Contest
• Display of the Little Town of Bethlehem nativity
• Puppet Shows and Magic Shows with Bob Olson
• Christmas carol sing-a-longs
• Dance from Dicken's A Christmas Carol
• Readings of The Night Before Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and A Visit from Saint Nicholas
• Readings of "The Nativity Gospel of Saint Luke" and "The Nativity Gospel of Saint Matthew"
Gates actually open at 3 PM but I think it is best to arrive in the dark for best effect. :-) Meet at 5 PM at the main exit of the ticket building leading into the Village. We can stay as a group or wander off if you like. [I will be arriving at 3 PM to have an early buffet style dinner at 3:30 PM at the Oliver Wright Tavern. I will post this as a separate event.]
Admission as of this 11/6/16 posting (same price for OSV members and non-members):
• $22 - adults age 13 and up
• $14 - children age 4 to 12
• Free - children age 3 and under
In order to encourage the pre-purchasing of tickets for evening events, the prices by OSV are subject to change as the evening event draws closer. Please try to purchase your tickets online (see the OSV event page below) to save money and to expedite entry. You could purchase at the event but I don't know how long lines will be for you.
The event will close at 9:00 PM. I will likely stay to the end as I love Christmas!
Children are very welcome for the event. No pets are allowed.
Arrive in a festive spirit! :-D
Approximate location/directions to Old Sturbridge Village (30 Stallion Hill Rd., Sturbridge, MA):
For more information/order tickets:
(To order tickets, go to above link, click on "Purchase tickets for Saturday" and then choose the date Saturday, 12/3/16)
Interactive Village map:
Video of past Christmas by Candlelight celebration:
More information about Old Sturbridge Village: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sturbridge_Village
Old Sturbridge Village website:
--- Legal Stuff ---
By clicking on "Yes" for this event you agree, warrant, and covenant as follows:
In consideration for accepting this entry, I, the registrant, intending to be legally bound, hereby, for myself, my heirs, my executors and administrators, do waive and release any and all rights for damages I may have against any parties or persons connected with the Hartford Area Hiking meetup group for and related to the above listed event. I attest and verify that I am physically fit to participate in any portion of this above listed event. I grant Hartford Area Hiking permission to use any photographs, film or videotapes of this event for any purpose.