addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
This Meetup is cancelled

Weekend Getaway in Gatlinburg **cancelled due to fire **

  • Alum Cave Trail Trailhead

    Hwy 441, Gatlinburg, TN (map)

    35.714310 -83.510452

  • Two great hikes - Alum Cave to Mt LeConte and Charlie's Bunion. We'll leave early Saturday morning and do one hike that afternoon; then spend the night and do the other hike on Sunday morning. We'll be back Sunday night no later than 8:00. Obviously, a lot of details need to be worked out, but I want to get this on the calendar so you can make plans for it.

Join or login to comment.

  • Terri M.

    That can't be helped. I just feel sorry for the people and animals that are experiencing the effects of the fire. Thanks for attempting to schedule these hikes.

    1 · 2 days ago

  • Brad S

    All of the trails leading up LeConte are closed, as is the lodge itself. We need to re-schedule this for another time. Sorry!

    2 days ago

  • Terri M.

    Just read that Gatlinburg is on fire as is some of the park. There is a mandatory evacuation of Gatlinburg. Arson is suspected arson.

    3 days ago

  • Brad S

    All of the trails leading up LeConte are closed, as is the lodge itself. It is very doubtful that we'll be able to do this hike. I don't know if the situation will improve in time for a Dec 17 hike, but if it doesn't, we probably can't do this until March at the earliest. Conditions in this area are a lot different from Atlanta and they are very unpredictable. The road to Clingman's Dome was closed due to ice as early as October 22 of this year. The temperature at the top of LeConte will be in the low 30's this weekend. Let's wait until tomorrow to get an update, but as of now, it is not looking good. I'll post another hike for this weekend if necessary and will look to Dec 17 as a replacement date, but realistically that may be too close to Christmas and also too short of a notice. Feel free to post your thoughts about it.

    3 days ago

  • Gloria

    Is someone going from Newnan/Peachtree city area?

    3 days ago

  • Deeply D.

    Brad- my apologies but I cannot make it for this one since I have a concert to attend on Sunday evening, and we are expected to be back by 8pm...
    Enjoy the hike!!

    4 days ago

  • Connie

    Brad, I just joined the waitlist but can't seem to figure out the +1 option... can I get it added to my RSVP please? Thank you!

    November 15

    • Brad S

      you are good to go Connie.

      November 16

  • Tim

    Brad - thinking about signing up for this one.. would the group be staying overnight & backpacking? Just want to make sure before signing up.. thank you, Tim.

    November 14

    • Brad S

      We'll be spending Saturday night in Gatlinburg; my plan is hotel/condo/lodge, but some may choose to camp. I'll work on the logistics once I get back in town.

      November 14

Cancelled

  • Brad S
    Assistant Organizer,
    Event Host

    I hike both for fitness and the beauty of nature. When leading hikes, they will be at a humane... more

  • Connie +1
  • Terri M.

    I enjoy being outdoors. I look forward to meeting others who enjoy being outside as well.

  • Prakash C.

    I am Prakash from India, I am graduate student. I love mountains and love trekking and hiking..

17 not going

(See all)

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy