• Shuttle Kayak trip (no outfitters). We drop the kayaks at MC. Drive to Easton to park most of the vehicles. Finally, driving back to MC to launch.
• Distance: 13 miles
• Duration: 3-4 hrs
• Mostly Class 1 Rapids: Very small rough areas, requires no maneuvering. (Skill Level: None)
• Lots of Class 2: Some rough water, maybe some rocks, small drops, might require maneuvering. (Skill Level: Basic Paddling Skill)
• Scattered showers ok, thunderstorm cancels
• Rentals are not available unless you arrange for one http://businessfinder.lehighvalleylive.com/PA-Easton/Canoe-and-Kayak
WHAT TO BRING:
• Your own kayak
• whistle, bilge pump/kayak spray skirt/paddle floatation device etc
• Up to date PA-launch permit (whether a PA resident or not--see below)
• PFD (life vest)
• snack/lots of water, binoculars /camera (optional)
This trip is a class 1 &2 basic paddling skill & maneuvering flat-waters and couple of obstructions, constrictions & the resultant class 2 rapids. Overall, more fun esp. if you stay where the manageable turbulence avoiding white capped waves (holes).
However, safety is impt. Hence, ability to pull yourself and your stranded vessel out of limestone rocks & submerged ledges are impt. The banks on both sides offer a few places to upright a kayak in case of a extensive vessel water or even a rollover which is probable but, unusual in this trip.
We launch in MC avoiding Foul Rift upstream (22 ft drop over a gradient of 1/2 mile). This rift is hazardous and is for advanced boaters- definitely would be fun but , not this trip. We will kayak around islands, see farm homes, historic houses and hopefully, see wildlife. Finally, we land in Easton for late lunch.
MC is in Lower Bethel township of Northampton County, PA.It's a 215 acre Environmental Preserve consisting mostly of mature deciduous woodlands and fields along the shores of the middle Delaware River. Designated by Congress as a Wild and Scenic River--It is incidentally, near the PPL (formerly Pennsylvania Power & Light) MC Power plant. PPL’s Martins Creek and Lower Mount Bethel power plants has been generating electricity for the area since 1954 & 2004 respectively. The area was named Tekening (pronounced "tek-en-ing") by the Lenni Lenape Indians- means "in the wood.” Trails of woodlands and open fields, have scenic views of the Delaware River. It's a wonderful place for bird watching; as well as viewing turkey, rabbits and deer. Flora & fauna abounds & most significant trees/plants are labelled which I find useful in foraging & identification. LAUNCHPERMIT
Dick's Sporting Goods (pls call ist to check availability as they easily ran-out)
Muellers Country Store & restaurant -3200 S Delaware Dr, Easton, PA 18042
DISCLAIMER: Participation in activities is strictly voluntary and group members assume all risks in connection with activities; per Meetup.com's Terms of Service Agreements, organizers and hike/trip leaders are released from any and all forms of liability related to events. You are responsible for bringing the proper gear including kayak/canoe, PA launch permit, PFD etc. and can moderate in and out of the water by swimming.