addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Mt. San Jacinto Hiking Club Message Board › A tribute to Mt. San Jacinto

A tribute to Mt. San Jacinto

Kathryn
user 9598032
Group Organizer
La Quinta, CA
Post #: 10
Jacinto

It’s massive gray wall of rock and earth looms, it’s jagged peak caressing endless azure as it looks down proudly over its valley - its domain. I gaze at it unceasingly and wonder… so many souls, over countless years, have stepped upon its sandy, dusty slopes and shared secrets from their hearts that only the mountain could hear. And the great mountain would hold those thoughts within the inundating folds of its being. Safe.
Some knew immense joy as they stepped, covered in dust from a distant star - dust made eons ago in an explosive moment of a star’s demise - dust that just looked ordinary, but wasn’t - how could it be? Others carried tortured thoughts along unending trails hoping that somehow the walk and the spirit of the mountain would bring peace to a well of unending pain. Others said their last words to a loved one, prayed a last prayer to infinity.
Did the great mountain hear those profound messages that can only be conveyed when one knows that hope is futile and that endless death is imminent? Oh to die alone on a fold of that massive mountain. Thoughts became secrets that only Jacinto could know…
And then there were others who walked simply, no thoughts, no secrets - empty, but not without knowledge - just at peace and Jacinto extracted no secrets then.
It stands like a wall that somehow can be a stop to infinity, as if the endless could even stop somewhere. Its immense wall gives an illusion of an end, a point where timelessness and endlessness must cease. Unending azure is at least filled up for a tiny bit of time and space by earth that had the power to rise up and touch the sky.
I gaze upon its many shades and subtle colors and wonder.
It calls to me and I answer. And then I give it an offering of my steps and my thoughts.