addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Mt. San Jacinto Hiking Club Message Board › Snowshoe for Newbies

Snowshoe for Newbies

Bill
user 10578155
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post #: 62
This is to gauge if there is interest within the group for a beginner snowshoe hike. I did this last year in another meetup group and we ended up with a group of 5.

The basic plan would be to follow the kool kids out to Tamarack Valley via the Sid Davis Drainage. At this point, it is up to group what they want to do. Last year's group decided the summit is where they wanted to be but they did not realize how hard that last mile or so is, only one reached the summit. Or head over to the South Fork Trailhead in San Gorgonio Wilderness and follow the trail a bit then wander around a lot.

Just email me through the group me from my profile, if you are interested.

Bill
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Bill, I would be interested in a snowshoe newbies outing, if one were to be arranged. I have a couple friends who would even want to come along. I've been snowshoeing a handful of times at Mt San Jacinto, and really enjoy it. Thank you! Lola
Ava
user 9628546
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Bill,
I would love to go snowshoeing with you again. I just went yesterday with Rod and the OC group and had a blast. I used my new snowshoes for the first time also.

I also used Diamox for the first time yesterday and it worked! No altitude sickness at all.
George C.
GeorgeC.
Covina, CA
Post #: 15
Hey Bill, depending on the date, I would love to go snowshoeing.
Sean P.
SeanMurphy
Santa Ana, CA
Post #: 1
Bill I would be interested as thi would be a first for me. Sean
Bill
user 10578155
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Post #: 63
There seems to be enough interest. The date and location will depend on Mother Nature. I will not take anyone out in a blizzard...that's tough for folks with experience.

I like San Jacinto but a newbie trip might be better at South Fork Trail because it is free, more wide open, varied and there is no lure to summit a peak.

The trip will be posted once there is enough snow on the off the trails near the South Fork Trailhead and the roads have been plowed...I don't do chains any more.

Therefore, like most snowshoe trips, it will be posted with short notice. It will list gear required recommended and will post a file with what I am taking...most of you will why my pack is so big and heavy.

If you have GPS bring them. I'll give you some guidance how to use them in winter months so your outings are a bit safer.

Bill