This Meetup was canceled.
This is a moderate pace hike - No Beginners or fast hikers please.
This organizer is not a professional hiker. She is not equipped or trained to save lives or help with ailments and is under no obligation to assist in the event of a medical emergency. Please know your limits.
DEPARTURE TIME: 8 a.m. Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow for parking and introductions.
ABILITY LEVEL: Advanced beginners and intermediate hikers. These are merely descriptions of the hike, not a recommendation nor any assurance that it is suitable for your skill level.
DISTANCE/DURATION: 5+ miles R/T. One hill with 1400+ ft Elevation gain. This hike will take about 2.5 hrs
ABOUT THE HIKE:
This is a scenic hike among the hills beneath the Saddleback mountain. You will enjoy the morning sun rays, seasonal blooms and peaceful surroundings. Please come with plenty of peace and a calm mind to absorb this serenity!
O’Neill Regional Wilderness Park is situated in beautiful Trabuco and Live Oak Canyons. The park is filled with beautiful trees and hillsides. Creeks also run through the park, flowing in winter and early spring, dry in summer and fall. We will take a loop of live oak and vista point trails back to the Ramakrishna Monastery Entrance after hiking 5 + miles.
The Ramakrishna monastery sits adjoining O'Neil's park atop 40 acres of largely undeveloped rolling hills. The monks maintain the buildings and grounds of the monastery which includes a shrine, a one-mile shrine trail honoring the world's major religions and a nice peaceful meditation hall. Visiting hours at the monastery are from 9:00-11:00 a.m. I will be visiting the monastery after the hike, but this portion is optional. Please do not call the monastery for directions, as they are unaffiliated with this hike and our group.
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TALKING ON YOUR CELL PHONE DURING THIS HIKE UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY. THANK YOU!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1) Select hikes/events at your ability level or below
2) Bring extra water/electrolytes and hydrate before and during the hike
3) Bring extra high-energy snacks
4) Bring more than one bottle of WATER
5) Bring charged cell phone, personal first aid kit, whistle andflash light/head lamp
6) Wear comfortable walking shoes (tennis shoes work great here)
7) Wear and/or bring appropriate attire/gear based upon weather conditions, including a jacket or rain gear.
8) A minimum of 4 members are required or the hike will be canceled.
9). Rain WILL cancel this event.