addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

History of Philosophy Book Club Message Board › Book for February meetup

Book for February meetup

Scott
user 6899431
Group Organizer
Silver Spring, MD
Many of us have sampled a variety of European and American philosophers, but I suspect few of us (and I include myself) have read much from non-Western cultures. On February 19 we will discuss key Arabic philosophers who wrote during the medieval period; these included Averroes and Avicenna. Ideally we would also discuss their Jewish counterparts, such as Maimonides, but I couldn't find an anthology that included both groups. Hopefully Jewish philosophy can be taken up at a future meeting.

The selected excerpts for February will come from: Classical Arabic Philosophy: An Anthology of Sources. Ed Jon McGinnis and David C. Reisman. Hackett Publishing Company, 2007. It is available from amazon.com for $16.35.  Slightly cheaper used copies are advertised at fetchbook.info.

I will formally post the meetup after our Aquinas session. Specific authors and pages will be specified then.