The concept of this group is to give people a place to go on a regular basis and see faces that are familiar. There will be a meet up during every Montreal Canadiens hockey game. The meetups will be in the same place almost all the time. The hockey game WILL be on during the meet up.
Watching hockey is more fun when you are not alone. The purpose of this meet up is to give Habs fans a place to drop by when they feel like watching hockey games with others and give people a place to hang out without all the uncomfortableness of most other meet up groups.
This group is for you if …
• You want to meet other people who do not like hockey
• Your partner watches hockey and you want socialize while he stays at home.
• Your partner watches hockey and you would like to bring him to a place where he can watch hockey while you socialize.
• You would like to meet people to socialize with, but you don’t like the uncomfortable feeling of going to a meet up group for the first time.
• You want to socialize without having to converse constantly. They are just enough commercials to converse a bit without having to have those uncomfortable conversations with people you do not know (or don’t want to know).
• You want to be in a place where you know people are there to hang out, but you would like to sit alone and stalk them.
• You would like to meet men who are single because they spend their time watching hockey in a bar.
• You want to meet woman who understand that guys like to watch hockey.
• You would like to meet a woman who would be interested in watching hockey with you.
• You would like to meet a woman who wants to socialize with other non-hockey fans while you watch hockey.
• You do not like to watch hockey alone and want to go somewhere where there are a few familiar faces rather than a large noisy crowd of strangers
• You want to learn to like hockey.
• You want to have an affair while your husband is watching hockey.
• You want to have an affair while your wife thinks you’re watching hockey.
• You think that I am an immoral, politically incorrect asshole and you would like to tell me to my face.
There is no requirement to even acknowledge the meet up group…show up at the bar and have a quick coffee or drink, if you feel like it join up with the other people in the group. If you like you can sit by yourself and watch the game alone knowing that the place you will be watching the game will not be empty. The idea is to give less social people a way to see the same people on a regular basis without becoming a bar fly.
The meet ups will be held in relatively quiet bars, pubs or espresso bars. The meet up location will be somewhere in the South-west (Verdun, St-Henri, Ville Emard, NDG). I hope to find a place that has easy parking and is quite close to a Metro station. The combination of these two requirements may make it necessary to be in not the most hip hotspot…and thats fine with me. The idea of this group is to meet people in a relatively calm atmosphere, if you want to meet people who are into the crowded bar scene you might as well just go to a crowded bar and watch the game.
There will be no meet-up fees (if you feel sad that I spend my money to pay meet up.com you can buy me a drink once in a while. I have no association with the bar or pub where we will be having the meet up. If the group has alternative locations I am very open to them.
Because of the nature of this group I do not expect many people to indicate that they will be attending (if you do great, because a lot of people will only show up if they know others will be there.)
I have no idea if there will be five or fifty people on a regular basis. Either way I will consider the meet up a success. I just want to meet a small group of people to watch the games with.
By this time you are probably pretty bored of reading this and have decided if you will attend a meetup or not, or join the group. So I will just ramble on with some of my other ideas concerning the group and you can read this or not. If you have any ideas that relate to the group send me a message.
I generally don’t like most meet up groups. The first few meetings until you can get an idea of what the people in the group are like can be uncomfortable. Sometimes people are too welcoming, and sometimes people are not welcoming at all. You may meet some great people or you may sit down next to that guy who has nothing better to do than complain about the service in the bar because all he ordered was a glass of water.
The hockey game gives you cover. If you find someone you want to chat with (and who wants to chat with you) you can chat. You have a great conversation starter…”How about those Montreal Canadiens?” If the person next to you is boring irritating or has bad breath you can just keep looking at the screen and watch the game…after all, you came here to watch the game. Even if you have not interest in hockey at all you can pretend you are interested in order to hang low.
There are only a few commercials during the game, so if you like to meet people, but you are not really interested in there life store off the bat you can have short shallow interactions during the commercials. “How about those Montreal Canadiens?” During the intermissions you can decide to have a deeper conversation or go for a 15 minute bathroom break.
If you are not interested in the game you can chat with others who are not interested in the game. Since its a bar atmosphere and much of the time the volume on the television will not be turned up you can discuss anything you want without disturbing others.
If you just want to have some familiar faces to say hello and goodbye to this group is for you. I do not intend to be a social butterfly and welcome everyone to the group and draw everyone together as one big family. Come over and say hello we will be most welcoming or if you like just sit down at a nearby table. There are usually quite a few people sitting alone in bars I intend to have the meet ups in. If you don’t think the group is for you can order a coffee take two sips, go to the bathroom and leave, nobody will know the difference. If you want to hang out at adjacent tables (looking like one of those barflies) for a few games until you are comfortable coming over great.
There will be some sort of subtle way that you will know that we are the meet up group…perhaps a statue of P.K. Subban on the table. If there are more than four or five people at the meet up I imagine we will be at separate tables. I have no intention of having one big table for everyone. The idea is to be very informal and to give people a space to move around if they are not comfortable where they are sitting.
I have no idea if there will be three people or thirty people at each game I am good with each. Don’t get that uncomfortable feeling if nobody other than me shows up. If two people show up only every second game I will consider the group a success.
I don’t know how I’m going to deal with the 50 person limit on the small meet up accounts. I will figure that out if it becomes an issue, I know people love to join many groups but seldom show up to any of the actual meet ups.