Help support your MeetupChip in
Are you looking to meet new friends? Do you like to go out and socialize? Are you a Muslim living in Houston that would like to meet other Muslims? If so, you have found the right place! Even if you are not Muslim, you are welcome to join.
The main goals of The Houston Muslims Meetup Group are:
• Provide a safe meeting environment to socialize, discuss topics and make long lasting friendships.
• To learn more about Islam
• To share our customs and celebrations
• Discuss the misconceptions and issues we face from the outside and even within own communities
• To help non-Muslims increase their knowledge about Islam
• To encourage more Muslim involvement in the greater American society by volunteering and offering your time to assist others
• To encourage more Muslim involvement in the voting and political processes
The rules are pretty simple. Be respectful, listen, be courteous to others and participate.
• Answers are required for all questions
• A profile picture with your face visible is required. This is for the safety of others within the group, to identify and remove fake profiles and it also helps us to identify you at events.
• Your profile must be truthful and all questions must be completely answered. Fake profiles will not be tolerated.
• It's important that you're an active member of the group. The organizer of the group reserves the right to remove members who have been with the group but haven't attended any event in the past six months, where the organizer was present and met you.
• You can be removed at any time for any reason at the sole discretion of the Organizer(s).
• You must be located in Houston or the surrounding areas.
1.1. Mutual respect:
• Events organized in this group are meant for enjoyed for all. This means you must show respect towards others and not say or do anything to alienate, offend or upset another member.
• This group is not about dating or finding a partner for marriage.
1.2 RSVP and Attendance
• Only RSVP if you truly intend to attend an event. Treat any YES RSVP as you would an important appointment or a commitment you would make with your family or close friends. Please extend the same respect to members of this group.
• Saying YES to an event is a commitment to attend. We understand circumstances and emergencies may arise. Please update your RSVP BY THE EVENT CLOSE DATE OR AT LEAST 24 HOURS advanced notice as common courtesy and respect of organizers and other members who are signed up or on the wait list for the event
• It is better to change your RSVP or let an Event Organizer know before the event than to not show up
Backing out of an event less than 24 hours at a minimum without a reasonable explanation is considered a "Cancel at the last minute". If you demonstrate 2 of these, you will be removed from the group.
• Not showing up for an event when you RSVP'ed YES without a reasonable explanation is considered a NO SHOW. If you have 2 NO SHOWs, you will be removed from the group.
• For emergency last minute cancellations, notify the Event Organizer by posting a comment or contacting the him/her directly. Generally, an email address or phone information will be provided by the Event Organizer. Multiple last minute cancellations may result in removal from the group.
• Be on time. If you're going to be late, notify the Event Organizer either by posting a comment or contacting him/her.
1.3. Commercial or Advertising Activities in the Group:
• No Commercial or Advertising activity is permitted unless authorized by the Organizer of this meetup group.
1.4. Financial Interest:
• To ensure that the group is open, fair and to avoid any conflict of interest, all members who post/suggest an event MUST disclose if they have financial interest in the events they are suggesting / promoting. It should at least be disclosed to the Meetup Group Organizer. For example, if the member works there, his / her family own the restaurant/business etc. If you fail to disclose this, your membership can be terminated without any prior notice.
1.5. Conflict of Interest:
• If you're a member of this group and found promoting other groups without an agreement of the Organizer of this group, this will be treated as conflict of interest. Also, if you're promoting an event that conflicts with this group's existing event, that will be treated as conflict of interest. In any case of conflict of interest, your membership can be terminated without any prior notice. Please consult with the organizer before promoting any other group or an external event.
• If you are messaging other people whom you are not friends with to meet outside of the group, this will be considered a conflict of interest and your membership can be terminated without any prior notice. Meeting people outside of the groups events undermines the whole purpose of the group which is to meet in person at events, to build friendships and ensure the group is viable and continues to grow.
1.6. Communication Policies:
• Although we encourage making friends in person, we also respect our members' right to privacy and we will not tolerate cyber harassment and/or communication that is unsolicited, "spammy", or annoying in nature. The purpose of this group is to meet in person, have fun and build friendships. This site is not meant for "online dating".
• If you feel that a member is annoying, harassing, or spamming you, please let one of the organizers know so that we can take necessary action.
• This group is not about dating or finding a partner for marriage. So do not make others feel uncomfortable by asking them for a date during a group event or via meetup messages. Especially for guys, DO NOT ask a woman for her phone number unless she willing offers it. If any person complains you are making them uncomfortable, your membership can be terminated.