Houston Writers Group - At Rice Village Message Board › Minor Characters- IDEAS
|A former member||
Minor characters should be used to show contrast from the protagonist for the following reasons-
1) Show contrast and diversity in authors thoughts.
2) Like Watson to Sherlock Holmes- minor characters can add texture to protagonist.
3) The contrasting views will bring out arguments between the two. That is interesting. Adds conflict and readers love people yelling and arguing. Makes for interesting reading.
4) The should contribute to story and add to plot.
5) Combine minor characters to avoid having too many minor characters.
6) Give them unique names/characteristics that the reader remembers even when they show up every 50 pages.
7) Avoid stereotypes (eg uncaring man. Overemotional woman, nagging wife, rebellious teenager)
8) Use extras in your story (like in a movie) eg the man carrying a vase in a market, the two girls giggling as you walk by. Gives your story more feel of being real.