addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Kay Staley hospitalized

Kay Staley hospitalized

Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 116
Kay Staley, of Harris County Courthouse bible display fame, and a cherished member of the Houston Atheist / Humanist / Freethought community, is hospitalized at (as I understand) the ICU of Memorial-Hermann at Memorial City. There seems to be some confusion about the nature of her problem. I will go there and try to find out more.

Please DON'T e-mail me for more details, as answering such e-mails would just take away from the time I can devote to trying to help her. I will post updates as I acquire more info.

My thoughts are with her, and I hope yours are also. Peace
Ariel
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 117
I went by. Kay is in the Medical ICU, which is in the East Tower - Wing 3-E, Room 308.
Unfortunately I found her unresponsive to voice, touch, visual stimuli (I did not try pain). She seemed to be breathing well on her own.

I left my professional card on which I wrote my cell phone, and identifying myself as "friend of Kay Staley", and I asked the nurses to please put it where her doctor would see it, and ask the doctor to call me (which realistically she probably won't do - confidentiality and all that stuff, you know).

I suppose we'll have to wait until a family member, or a friend who Kay may have authorized in writing, can get info and relay it to the rest of us. I'll try to stop by there with some frequency, see how she seems to be doing.
Susana P.
user 11195457
Humble, TX
Post #: 13
Thanks Ariel, keep us updated.
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 120
-- As of about 1830 this evening, she is much improved - obtunded but recognized me, voiced gratitude for my visit, but asked ME why she is in the hospital, "what's wrong with me?". She seemed to have no recollection of what she had been doing before whatever happened, happened. She was able to slightly move all extremities under the covers, etc. All in all, definitely much better.
-- I will continue to visit her, but will not send any more progress reports. Instead, I suggest that y'all visit her since her spirit seemed to perk up a bit by the presence of a friend.
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 122
Am back from spending the holiday weekend with my son in Bastrop and with his brand new in-laws in Giddings. Nice time, lovely people.
On the way back I stopped by Memorial-Hermann, on Gessner. Kay has been moved to East Tower, Rm 719.

She is doing much better but still very slow and weak. She'll probably be transferred to a Rehab. facility within a week. She's down in the dumps - and very appreciative of visits, y'all. She battled for us all in local and federal courts, including taking death threats, so let's show her how much we care for her. Don't hesitate just because she may not know who you are - now is the time to change that!

Peace
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 124
Happy news. Kay is much better, physically and mentally. She still very much appreciates all visitors.

She is being transferred more or less right now, as I write, to Select Specialty Hospital, 2130 West Holcombe, across Holcombe from where the Shamrock Hotel used to be. Their switchboard phone number is (713) 218-1950. She thought she was going to their Heights facility (near her home) but she's being taken to the Medical Center instead.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to the "Egyptian God-Kings" (or some such title) free lecture at the Museum of Fine Arts, 1:30 - 3:00 p.m. I know some of you will be there. I plan to have with me a big GET WELL card, and hope many of you will sign it. I plan to take it to her later in the day. I'll gladly turn it over to others among you if you will go see her before I do - you would make a great cheerleader delegation. How about that?

Please don't reply to me about this since it would be an additional burden to me. Instead, go see her. Thanks.
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 126
I visited Kay this evening. Pretty much alert by now. She continues to improve, but will need to regain strength, etc, and it will take time. She is in room 308, Select Specialty Hospital, 2130 West Holcombe, across Holcombe from where the Shamrock Hotel used to be. Enter parking ($$$) next to LA Fitness - take elevator to 1, then a different bank of elevators to 6, then turn left - and start walking.

I gave her the Get Well card some of you had signed at the Pharaoh event at MFAH. It made her very happy. We joked about some of you being reluctant to sign the card (or to visit her) since she doesn't know you. I kidded to the effect that Xians have never really met doG, but they still revere him/her/it and think they talk to it/her/him all the time. She thought that was cute.

C'mon, people. She's one of the main local Atheist / Freethought / Humanist heroes. Go say 'hi' and 'thanks'.
Ariel
user 2651833
Houston, TX
Post #: 131
I went by late-ish yesterday. As someone pointed out, I had entered the wrong room number for her - it's 615. Also, I didn't know about parking validation by the nurses; glad to have been informed of that.

She was up and about (first time I saw her vertical since this all started) and plans are for her to go home either today (Tue) or (more likely, she thought) tomorrow Wed. It's all great news.