addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › Texas Board of Education

Texas Board of Education

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 9
I for one hope that you do not fade away Jeremy, and I hope to see you on January 14th.
Mike O.
user 7892622
Tomball, TX
Post #: 13
As for attributing your statement to Richard, sorry about that. Comes from reading everything quickly and trying to knock out a response before leaving for work...I realize that we've been more or less on the same page here but have just been quibbling about the details, didn't mean to imply that you were against that proposal.

Thanks for responding so eloquently to my blatant baiting, you put a smile on my face this morning. I can see that you are a man of deep concern and thought. Usually by this point, bad words would be flying. Baiting though my question was, rest assured that I would never pose such a question without expecting to answer it myself. A skeptic should be analytical of his own motives as well.

Blame accepted for trying to suck you back in. But I hope to see you on the 14th, I look forward to discussing motives, or anything else, with you!
Lyle S.
lets_roll
Houston, TX
Post #: 263
hmmm....

This is what makes me question your motives. Could you find it within yourself to do the same?
...well I for one thought this referred to Jeremy finding it within himself to question his own motives not Mike's :)

Oh, and I do think critical thinking encompasses discounting some poor judgments at times. and I still am of the understanding that the issue is keeping them separated ... science and philosophy. Let's not waver on it.
Richard
user 8531395
Houston, TX
Post #: 2
"And I also want to thank Mike for giving credit to Richard for something I had said."

I thought with my statement as to 'modifying the 5min speech', it was clear I was quoting Jeremy - who just presented his 5min speech in the post immediately prior. Sorry for confusion, original text edited to reflect. :)
Mike O.
user 7892622
Tomball, TX
Post #: 14
hmmm....

This is what makes me question your motives. Could you find it within yourself to do the same?
...well I for one thought this referred to Jeremy finding it within himself to question his own motives not Mike's :)

I think Jeremy was being snarky, as well he should be. Poor choice of words on my part, didn't mean it to sound as it did. I could just see Naomi and Clay sweating over my responses.

I question my own motives all the time, and sometimes I'm surprised at what I find. But in this case, what I was thinking was to wonder if he could question his *approach* to presenting his arguments, since he seemed to be falling back on points that had been addressed. This may involve motive but it was antagonistic of me to say so. Again, snapping stuff off and rushing to work without really considering how it sounds. The internet makes one bold, no? But it is heartening to see that Jeremy held his own and remained civil, a person of lesser convictions or a true believer who was trolling would have revealed himself long ago. I'm glad to see he RSVP'd for the meeting on the 14th.
Richard
user 8531395
Houston, TX
Post #: 9
Saw this on the atheist meetup boards.

http://news.yahoo.com...­

Makes me wonder if this isn't some kind of 'give an inch, take a mile' type tactic.

Anyone 'in the know' that can offer more insight into this tidbit that otherwise might not be obvious to the casual reader?
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 25
thanks for posting that, Richard. It was better than I expected, less than I want.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 26
An article on Eugenie Scott's National Center for Science Education website, regarding the school board vote:

http://ncseweb.org/ne...­