addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › New Meetup: Skeptics and Crawfish!

New Meetup: Skeptics and Crawfish!

Closed to new replies

Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for Greater Houston Skeptic Society!

What: Skeptics and Crawfish!

When: April 8, 2009 6:30 PM

Where: Click the link below to find out!

Meetup Description: Celebrate crawfish season and have some great conversation! At this time, we do not have a scheduled speaker.

The Mardi Gras Grill has a patio that they will reserve for us, weather permitting. Otherwise, we will be in the party room. This room is open to the public, but they will group tables with 'reserved' signs for us.

Note: The Mardi Gras Grill does not have separate checks, but will allow people to split the bill and pay separately with cash or credit cards, so you will need to keep track of your order and drinks. We will begin at 6:30, but feel free to come when you can, we usually close the place down. This is a new location for us.

ALSO IMPORTANT: If you RSVP "Maybe" and then find you can't come, please update for RSVP. At our last meetup, some people weren't able to attend due to the room capacity limits.

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­
A former member
Post #: 14
Maybe Eugenie will still be in town and could come talk to us.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 36
she is in town that week? I will try to chase her down if you let me know where you got information!
A former member
Post #: 15
I mispoke. She is currently in Austin for the deliberations on the science education amendment. Sorry for the confusion.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm new (haven't attended a meeting yet), but do we get many skeptics of that caliber in Houston? I'd really like to hear my "skeptical heroes" in person, but it seems like they don't promote local appearances much. Does anyone know if folks like Phil Plait or Rebecca Watson tour much?

(I'm assuming you're talking about Eugenie Scott, btw).
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 37
Dr. Scott won't be there, she was in Austin for some of the debate.

I talk to Phil on a semi-regular basis< He has been invited but hasn't been able to work it into his schedule over the next few months, at least. If his book publisher gets him a signing gig in the area, he said he will let us know so we can arrange a meetup. A couple people in the meetup group offered to pay his (or any other good speaker) airfare and lodging.

Rebecca has a full time job and doesn't 'tour', other than hanging out with the Skeptics groups in her native Boston or nearby locales. The 'cost of airfare' wouldn't apply to her - our benefactor has met her and says he can't afford her liquor bill. biggrin Jeff Wagg has offered to come, but again, he doesn't do touring for a living and would need his expenses covered.
A former member
Post #: 1
Drat - can't make the meeting because of a prior commitment .. do you have any other local meetups planned this month?
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 40
Lisa, we typically meet once per month. I'm going to try and make the May meeting on a weekend, since we have a few members that can never make it on weeknights.
A former member
Post #: 20
I hope the meeting went well. I hate that I had to miss it. My wife is in Canada and my babysitter got sick. I can't wait to introduce my kids to critical thinking but at 4 and 6 months they might not be ready for this level of skepticism, although my 4 year old did announce a few weeks ago that there is no need for god because we came from the rats that didn't get killed by the dinosaur metor.