addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Greater Houston Skeptic Society Message Board › The UP Experience--Did anyone go?

The UP Experience--Did anyone go?

A former member
Post #: 1
I went there originally to help out with the Junior UP, and I somehow ended up in the main auditorium, awkwardly sitting in the back row and hanging out uncomfortably in corners texting during the breaks. I had to leave after Neil deGrasse Tyson gave his talk--which was freaking awesome, as always--but I wanted to see if any other skeptics managed to cough up the $1,000 to make it.

Would've been nice to have met another skeptic there, as the place was mostly swarming with businessmen eager to leave. They were actually TEXTING THROUGH all of the speakers. Can you believe it?!

P.S. By "other skeptics" I don't mean to imply that I somehow found one thousand dollars and managed to make it. I really, truly just ended up there somehow. The world is a crazy place.
Naomi
user 7881900
Spring, TX
Post #: 46
I really wanted to go, but just came back from a 10-day European vacation and couldn't have swung the cost. My best friend was on tap to go but had some business issues come up and cancelled at the last minute.

What do you mean, eager to leave? Like my friend, who owns a multi-million dollar business, perhaps they have to work while they are elsewhere? He answers email and texts all the time, except during meals or when talking to clients.

A former member
Post #: 2
No, I mean genuinely eager to leave. By two, quite a few of them were saying, "Thank God I have to [insert task here] at three, so I can leave." And, most of the people who were texting near me didn't seem to be managing businesses. One woman looked at me before a break and said, "My husband says that..." while gesturing towards her phone.

Yeah....