addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Humanist Society of WA Message Board Humanist Society of WA Discussion & Debate Forum › New motto for WA Humanists- Your Suggestions

New motto for WA Humanists- Your Suggestions

A former member
Post #: 37
http://www.meetup.com...­

Here is the link to the 50 words.... I will see you all on the other side :D
Lutz E.
LutzE
Perth, AU
Post #: 125
In 1996, the IHEU General Assembly adopted the following resolution. Any organisation wishing to become a member of IHEU is now obliged to signify its acceptance of this statement:

"Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality."

Should we incorporate that into our 'About Us'? - Can anyone come up with a motto that encapsulates that?
Warwick B.
WarwickB
Perth, AU
Post #: 14
"For a spirit of ethical democracy based on reason and human values, not spiritualism"?

Probably a bit long. Could be shortened to
"For ethical democracy based on reason"

or
"For ethical democracy with reason".

It would be good if the concept of humanism could include the religious as a subset. But the resolution rules this out.

Hope this helps.
Lutz E.
LutzE
Perth, AU
Post #: 126
Another angle on Humanism: it is about influencing the evolution of our society towards more complete compatibility with our nature and aspirations; hence the persistent struggle for freedom, equality, democracy and against groups that seek domination over us, be they popes, ayatollahs, emperors, despots or powerful commercial and ideological organisations.
In our advanced society (Australia) the residual issues are relatively minor but nevertheless important to us: making life better for several minorities, among them the Aboriginals and the ‘gender-diverse’ communities, full reproductive rights for women, the right to die when we choose to, equality of all religions and worldviews, not a privileged status of one, etc.
So, what is a good motto that expresses all that? – ‘join the struggle!’ perhaps?
Stevie
user 48816372
Perth, AU
Post #: 3
Great discussion everyone! We are also hosting this 'motto' question on our facebook page.
From what has been discussed here and on facebook the two mottos that have attracted the most popular support are; 1. "Justice. Reason. Compassion" (Erwin) and 2. "Rights. Reason. Compassion - For All". (Jakob)
I like Jakob's amendment there: The 'For All' adds that element of inclusiveness and 'diversity', which Salvatore had raised here on this page as an important virtue for Humanists. Any comments on these two?
Paul
user 2731723
Perth, AU
Post #: 66
Lutz.
I am concerned from Steve's comment about Facebook and MeetUp. This is technology going crazy. It isn't about good communication when it is occurring in multiple places.
I have more to add but loath to do so when I may only be talking to one subset of members, and the other set isn't talking to us here!
There could be another discussion on Twitter for all I know?
Paul
A former member
Post #: 39
As a teacher, we use the specific language of "rights and responsibilities" with the children we teach.

If one is not accompanied by the other then the micro-society of a school there is inequality... all rights no responsibility or all responsibility and no rights..

http://grammar.about....­

I think if it is a motto then it does need to form a short sentence.. so my updated effort using your above contributions:

"Our rights, our responsibility. For love, learning and evolution."

(where love = a simplified word for compassion, learning = the acquisition of knowledge and reasoning with it, and evolution = the natural development/future of mankind and all species of the planet)

Keeping things as simple as possible makes it accessible to more people. In the UK the "average reading age" of adults was pegged at the 9.5 years range and therefore tabloid papers use simplified language which is accessible to the majority. so by using words that we take for granted like compassion or the subtle use of "to reason" as opposed to "having a reason" may be too much for some to grasp immediately.
Warwick B.
WarwickB
Perth, AU
Post #: 15
You make a very good case. I love 'love'. It evokes even more than humaneness/compassion. And the religious think that their god loves them but it isn't just the religious who understand 'love'. I think it is a great candidate word for being part of the motto, whatever it turns out to be.
Harry G.
harrygardner
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
Not many Humanist Societies overseas display mottos on the internet at least, but some important ones do. The American Humanist Association has the one that HSWA recently has withdrawn. The one that hangs in my memory is the motto of the British Humanist Association 'for the one life we have". - Harry Gardner
Paul
user 2731723
Perth, AU
Post #: 67
I agree whole heartedly with Tony’s comment about using simple, plain English, so what would we use to replace ‘secularism’. Rights and responsibility are interesting but Responsibility without Accountability is equally ‘empty’.

I think we need to meet the criteria, “Necessary and Sufficient”. Many of the words suggested are nice to have, they certainly imply values that Humanists ought to apply, eg, Reason, Rights, Compassion, Diversity, Equality, Honesty, Freedom, Democracy, etc, and now the overused and hence meaningless word , love! But do these meet the criteria?

Some here seem to be doing everything possible to avoid reference to religion, some saying we need to be positive rather than negative. Lutz as rightly pointed us all towards the fundamental statement of what Humanism is, ie:

IHEU Statement of what Humanism stands for:
"Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality."

It is inescapable that the essence of the 3 sentences is ‘necessary’. The first two sum up the type of value statements many here are trying to encapsulate; the last adds our humanist qualification regarding theism and the supernatural.

This last sentence is the essential element that distinguishes Humanist from other worthy good groups, like trade unions, political parties, religions of all shades. If you disagree with that I think it is essential you say so and why, and further provide other characteristics that distinguish Humanists from other 'Good groups'. Likewise, for those of who want to reference these essential elements without using a negating sentence, it is really up to you to do so using positive phrases.

If anybody is also using Facebook, will they please point them to my MeetUp postings. I don't know how you link both into a single dialogue.
Paul