addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Need A Dance Partner? Message Board › Sorry for another email so soon...

Sorry for another email so soon...

Ann M.
AnnMillerTX
Dallas, TX
I saw this posted today on the site and I want to immediately clear this up for the new, old, never been seen and out there dancing every week members.
"Need a Dance Partner suggests there are partners to be had, this would the wrong assumption."
I guess I would be the Need a Dance Partner.  Never, ever, ever ever is it guaranteed that there will be enough dance partners to go around.  I've been taking dance lessons since 2009 and I can tell you that there have been a LARGE majority of nights when I sat on the sidelines with no partner to dance with.  Yes, can you imagine, I have a group of close to 800 members and yet I don't always have a partner.  There are many nights that I step aside and share my dance partner with newbies for the lessons.
You've got to take a few steps yourself. (No pun intended.) There are close to 800 people on the site, take a look at the members, and make an attempt to connect before heading out to a venue. There are all ages, shapes, sizes, skill levels and locations of people on the MeetUp site.  If you plan to go to an event, try to connect with someone before you get there, and ask if they would be your partner for the lesson.   Post a photo of yourself so you can be found. There was an event just a few weeks ago where a lady said she left because she had no one to dance with.  She never posted a photo and later one of the guys said he would have happily have danced with her.
Ladies, ask men to dance--scandalous I know.   (Guys are flattered when we ask the to dance too.) But if you sit at the table texting on your phone I can guarantee you are going to be sitting there texting most of the night. Lessons typically last an hour.  If you don't have a partner for the lesson, don't give up, there's an entire evening of social dancing that follows.  Men for the most part like to dance with a variety of partners.  Stand or sit close to the dance floor, ask them to dance.  (I know this was really hard for me to do when I first started dancing.)
If you are new to dancing.  I would suggest starting with lessons at a dance studio.  They all do a nice job of trying to rotating partners, or finding a way so everyone has a turn.  Lessons at places like Red River and the Electric Cowboy try their best, but they can't manufacture men out of thin air.
Ok, off my Ann soap box.  Dancing is like life, it's what you make of it and well worth the effort.
...and to the member that posted the comment...thanks for the nudge.
If you are expecting that there will be a dance partner there waiting for you just because you belong to this group, it might not be the best group for you to be a part of.  Just the honest reality.  I receive no revenue or advantages for having this MeetUp group, in fact I pay a monthly fee to keep things up and running. I remember how it was when I just started, so I continue to keep things up and going.  There are enough positive comments from people, couples that have met while dancing, that it makes it worth the effort to continue.
...to my gentlemen friends, are you still sitting on the couch with all of these ladies just waiting to dance with you?  The odds are definitely in your favor, come on out and dance.

Ann