Join the Square Dance Revolution. Square Dance for the People. $10 (cash only).
Live Band: Have More Fun String Band
Calling: James Hutson
Never square danced? Don't worry... all dances are taught. Fun guaranteed!
No partner necessary, this is social dancing :) Everyone willing to participate is welcome!
People start arriving around 7:45pm, band goes on at 8:00pm.
We'll meet up by the sheep playing the banjo (see photos below) around 8:00pm. Dancing starts whenever they have a critical mass of people, usually around 8:15pm.
The dance is held at the American Legion, but if you're navigating there with google, make sure you use this address: 227 N Ave 55, Los Angeles, CA 90042. (For whatever reason, just typing American Legion will get you to the back door, which isn't open.)
When you see the flag pole out front you're in the right place! (Also see photos below). Follow the walkway on the right side of the building and up the stairs. Once inside, to your right you'll find the dance floor, to your left the cash bar, and straight ahead will be the bathrooms.
We'll meet up by the sheep playing a banjo along the right side of the dance hall. We will meet there as a group at 8-8:15pm. If you're late and miss the group meet, ask the people at the check-in table to point you to Thomas or Charlotte, and we'll introduce you to the rest of the group.
There is free street parking in the surrounding streets: Ash St, Monte Vista St, and Avenues 54, 55, and 56.
There are also a number of lots within 5-12 minutes walking distance. They have meters but are 2 hours free before 9pm and free after 9pm, so if you arrive after 7pm you should be fine.
As always, double-check posted signs. The Metro Gold line also stops a few blocks away if you prefer public transportation (Highland Park Station).
The bar onsite is very reasonably priced, but it's cash only, so bring some extra cash if you'd like anything from there.
WHAT TO BRING:
• Comfortable shoes
• Water bottle <-- bar has water, but no drinking fountain, so don't forget this!
• Cash: $10 for the dance + whatever you want for the bar
• A sweater for before/after that you can take off (you'll get hot dancing)
Tips for the LADIES:
- Dresses are fun for twirling, but jeans are cool too :)
- I personally like to wear shorts under my dresses
- It's best to wear shoes that are comfortable, not too grippy and won't easily slip off (I usually wear my converse or flats w/ a strap)
- Dress in layers, you will get warm
- It's ok (even encouraged) to ask guys to dance :)
- Ladies are always right, so ladies are always on the right when dancing (though you are no way limited to dancing the "lady" role--anyone can dance any role)
Hope you'll join us!