Calling all volunteers...
Northern Illinois Food Bank acquires donated food from retailers, local and national manufacturers, farmers, individuals, businesses, the federal government and also purchases additional products. Northern Illinois Food Bank then delivers the food to our network partners for distribution to our hungry neighbors.
Here is the website to check it out:
Our job will be to work an assigned food table where we will check the food for expirations dates and quality and then pack it to be distributed to the hungry in nearby neighborhoods.
The shift is approximately 2 1/2 hours and there are some rules we have to follow:
- 8 is great! For safety purposes all volunteers must be at least 8 years of age. Minor volunteers (8-15 years of age) must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older.
- All volunteers must complete a Consent Form (http://email.civicore.com/wf/click?upn=hFOnj7iK3f4Gwexk-2B59F5xaUeLW0EJZLec6eomAJlEB6J4JCGZP9-2Fcbr2wiwiCUxKEkMm2aDuJ4d1mVX8pngnhV7OGQnt8Epe6gg4yBZLnO0y3y9NUqMbYIZofNIMV5gMhDDoWN8zXQm55ydxoLwdcz2y7lmtyDEhaxm5RrLK5A-3D_3sRURCeRPECT3JoFhqystgBingxqun9UN2w8PSK-2FIytjS5-2B4upJA67Qu8-2Bh-2BzU6uNIVhNQF-2Fy5tEvQ1t-2BDLiVlldL-2BDm5rG-2B66OndxtPEUNqLB9FCoyTTavcPCiMnfE8r3jB8LZ2wNcdlDbrdk9TenvJjZQ85APdVIiHAJsB26xMtn1bDuovSoqih71w2lVRQegbbJwaNVZ-2BjuOpRd75aIrKTORCfXSs2Jy6PhZkaW22aahfutX-2F0uRFtGuj-2FAHj5200pKL8x-2BYlKfbRziYAq46ekYoYr1U2nII5tZEpQNNIndROqAJSwiVyoRk805-2FC) and turn in during their volunteer shift. You can fill this out in the lobby.
- How to Dress? No open-toed shoes are allowed in the warehouse. Smashed toes are no fun, so we strongly enforce this safety precaution. Dress casual and in layers to ensure you're comfortable.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before your volunteer shift for the mandatory orientation.
- Your volunteer shift directly feeds hungry neighbors. If you are going to be late or need to leave early, we ask that you schedule an alternate volunteer shift. Please make every effort not to cancel as we plan our production based on your participation.
Just a heads up if you haven't done this type of volunteering before it can be very physically demanding with lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. but I assure you it is extremely rewarding!
Since this is a morning shift we can schedule lunch at a nearby restaurant afterwards if you are interested.