What we're about
IMUPC is a Meetup photo club, organized to meet the needs of/and for all levels of photographers with all makes and models of cameras...from film, point & shoot, the most sophisticated of the DSLRs, and now the I Phone!!! This club exists to foster a platform for its members to learn and grow thru additional informal educational opportunities by sharing their knowledge and skills with other members. The club provides opportunities thru various meetings, photo shoots, taking part in local galleries, etc.. The club offers a fun monthly photo challenge for those members who want to take part. The club attempts to assist with a variety of community projects and services. Fun and a sense of good will are prime in all endeavors.
History: Over the past few years, since IMUPC was first conceived, it has strived to offer a variety of offerings and opportunities to its membership.
Most recently, we moved from our home at the "Attic" (2nd floor of the Carriage House a part of the Propylaeum) to its new location at the IU Health Building (950 N. Meridian). The Atrio Café has graciously offered us total gallery space in their dining area; and offered us use of their attached conference room, complete with projector and screen.
Parking will be across Illinois street in the Employee "Silver Lot". This lot is monitored for safety.
All meetings are on Thursday evening, starting at 6:30 pm and will be in the IU Health Atrio Conference Room (1st floor)....with one exception (below).
The 2nd Thursday of the month meeting is the only exception. On that evening, we meet at Grindstone Charlie's in Speedway. We relax in their back room and watch videos (while we eat)...followed with discussion. The videos are "Famous Photographers" or "History of Photography".
This restaurant is very accommodating and their food prices are quite reasonable.
Atrio: With recent changes in Security requirements, I will be changing this. I will be posting specifications here.
Indiana Landmarks: We will not be having a show at the Indiana Landmarks this year due to a high demand of space as a result of this being a Bi-Centennial Year. Next year, 2017, we will return to the Indiana Landmarks. A theme has not been chosen yet.
This is a great opportunity!
Dues: $20/year effective after a 30 day Trial period; and that becomes your renewal date. This is the same for single or family.
"Where does the dues $$ go?" and "How is this Meetup Group structured different from other photo clubs?"
Don't ask "Where does the dues $$ go?" please. Every once in a while, thank goodness not often, I am asked. I do not keep records as I have way, way, too much (an overwhelming amount) paper work now.
IMUPC is a Meetup group. It is not an organized for-profit or not-for-profit. Meetup groups were started in New York City, during the crisis of 9/11, when someone came up with the idea that folks who have like interests should get together to form support groups....support groups with folks who enjoy mutual interests (any type interest...the idea was that folks needed "friends", especially during difficult times of crisis like the 9/11, when so many people were left without family, friends, loved ones...with no one). If you notice the huge variety of meetup groups available, you'll have a better understanding.
Our mutual interest, our Meetup is about photography, and anything to do with this great hobby. Some in the group are simply looking for a good clean socially acceptable group of people with a fun thing like photography. Some are folks who like to take family pictures and nothing more. Some are "tinkerers or gadget gurus"; some are considering photography as a part or full-time business; and some are professionals who enjoy being around others who love this hobby and are more than willing to be there to assist and help with the many questions, as there are tons! All of these, regardless of the status, are considered equal...and "friends".
So...how does this Meetup club operate? We do not have voting committees (president, secretary/treasurer, etc.). Actually, as a Meetup organizer, I individually pay annual dues to the Meetup Headquarters to be able to utilize their site for my Meetup group...whether I have 1 or 2 members or 500 or more. I want to maintain the club in the same persona as I had originally imagined; therefore I choose to not have any type voting committees, but I appoint members who I believe have the same vision and philosophy as myself to help me and the club with an assortment of duties and responsibilities.
Some folks want to "change our philosophy, and make us a more professional level club" as some of the other clubs in/around the county...but my vision is geared more toward helping the newbie, the hobbyist, the student...those who are struggling to learn this thing called photography, and open the door for them so that new found/learned knowledge can and will produce the results they want. I firmly believe in exposure and networking....and stretching beyond the bounds of one's own imagination. We may not be expert, but the scope of our efforts will cause us to venture beyond. There is a wealth out there for those willing, but some are too timid (at first) to move in that direction and need someone to help and guide them until they get a good foothold. That is a lot of what this club is all about...helping, sharing, teaching...being there for one another!
Over the years, we have been blessed with some wonderful folks helping, some have moved on and some are still with me. The volunteer offerings keep coming. So, we must be doing something right! I believe it is an innate desire toward helping one's fellow man... (in this case, with photography).
Being the organizer, I hear almost all the feedback...good or bad, and it comes from a variety of sources. Sometimes, I don't hear immediately, even on the spot; then there are times, not until several years later.
I work hard at trying to provide you with a wide array of opportunities, experiences, networking, education, challenges, ...and friendships all associated with photography. I do this for my love of art and photography, but probably more so for my own personal reasons that has nothing to do with photography or money. Having been a heavy-duty volunteer all my life and having been very closely tied to my church and pastors and their families, as friends, over the years, along with the fact my work-choice has been in the healthcare field, along with some legal background, I know the extreme importance of being around people you enjoy being around and doing things you truly love. So exchange the words "people" with "you" and "things" with "art and photography".. There, you got it!
Do those who offer their time get paid? How I wish I could offer that, but can't. I have several members who are quite skilled and knowledgeable and offer their expertise and time...as volunteers...to help make this group run successfully. Neither can I or you afford to pay their valued salary. I offer them free membership, which is a pittance compared to their worth. With their help, putting this all together in some form of organized structure, takes an untold amount of time...and you guessed it...more money than dues could ever begin to cover.
Annual Dues: Over the 7 years I've been involved with this group, the dues have been "all over the place". They were $10 7 years ago....but we soon found out that that just wasn't doing it. So, we raised them to $20 for each individual, although we felt $25 at the time would have been a more realistic figure. About a year later, they were raised to $30, and that still didn't seem like enough. We discovered that most clubs in the area were charging $40-$50, and not offering nearly as much!
They stayed at $30, until I got tired of those who like to complain about "everything"! I had thoughts of just cancelling the dues thing...and taking it down to zero so I wouldn't have to hear those few. But, it was suggested to me to make it $20...and consider that a family membership (one household), and I thought we'd try it to see how that worked.
That seems to work! My goal is not to make money off our members... My goal is to provide all of you with the opportunities I spoke of above...and I hope to somehow and in someway, repay you in an amount much greater than any you have given to help support this club. The goal is to get involved, and help yourself by helping others... Learn to feel that richness deep inside your soul!
Opinions expressed by the Indy MU Photo Club members are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of the Indy MU Photo Club or its organizers. Indy MU Photo Club is not responsible for and does not guarantee the accuracy of any of the information supplied in the website.
In addition, Indy MU Photo Club members are responsible for their own photo submissions. By submitting, members certify that photo(s) are original and do not infringe on any third-party rights. Indy MU Photo Club is not responsible for the ownership or rights to or for any photos.
1. The Organizer is the owner of this Meetup group, called "Indy Meetup Photo Club", also "IMUPC", and the one who establishes direction of the club, the MISSION STATEMENT.
2. All leadership positions are appointments made by the Organizer.
3. Members, especially those in leadership positions, are expected to be knowledgeable of the Mission Statement and actively support it.
4. All members, regardless of type, amount of equipment, or experience or knowledge, will be treated equally and fairly. There will be no exceptions to this.
5. Integrity of the club will be maintained. Obscenity, offensive language, intimidation, snide, sarcastic, hurtful and/or derogatory comments, and/or inappropriate behavior either at or against the club, the leadership, or any of its members will not be tolerated. Those members may be removed from the membership, and it will be at the sole discretion of the organizer as to any future action toward those members.
6. IMUPC will not host or be associated with photos that hint or imply inappropriate or indecency.
7. Boudoir photography can be beautiful; it can enhance gracefulness and charm; and by many considered an artful credit; but to others it's considered quite offensive, especially if taken too far. Since it borders on the fence; this club will not permit boudoir photography as a part of any of the club's agendas or on any of its associated websites. Concurrently, if a member has a link posted to/for their own website, and that site contains such, that site neither may be permitted. This club makes no judgments toward anyone wanting to pursue that area of photography...just not in this club setting.
8. Guest speakers are invited to attend educational meetings based on anticipated wants/needs of the membership. Respect and full attention is always an expectation of members. Any member who is disruptive may subject himself for dismissal either from the meeting(s) or from the club.
9. Members who step-up to lead an event are more than appreciated and given full authority for the event as long as their plans are presented to the organizer and approved.
10. Once given authority, members who sign up to assist the event host, must follow the direction of the event host.
11. Captions must accompany all pictures uploaded with exception of rules for the Monthly Photo Challenge - otherwise photos may be deleted.
12. Dues have been changed to $20/year and will remain as such unless it is felt they need to return to the $30 level.
13. To participate in any meetings, photo shoots, etc., dues must be paid, unless in the pre-membership Trial (30 days). This is only fairness to those who faithfully pay dues.
14. Members who bring guests, are responsible for that person and their conduct. Age limit is 13 yo and older.
15. All cell phones, laptops, notebooks, I-Pads or any other electronic devices must be turned off and put away during meetings Use of these during a meeting, show disrespect and the person(s) involved will be asked to leave. Anyone may subject himself to dismissal from the club by continuing use.
16. Leadership members are expected to attend and take part in the Annual Gallery Show.
17. Mission and purpose of this group/club is to provide support thru a friendly and sharing atmosphere. Planned profiting or exploitation of the club or its membership will not be tolerated.
As the organizer of this fabulous group, I wish to thank everyone and every contribution, sacrifice, and effort made toward making and improving its growth and health. THANK YOU!!!!
OUR MOTTO: "Helping Yourself by Helping Others"